What'd you do in this situation?

Meshuggah

Hi.

I am about to record some with my band.. We're gonna start with Drums, Bass and one Guitar. The mics I have availible are: NT-1, NT-3, 2x ATM11, 2x SM57, So I'm pretty limited..

I thought I'd use the ATMs for overheads, SM57 for snare, NT-3 for kick. SM57 for guitar and NT-1 for Bass-amp..

Any suggestions?

Sounds pretty good, but I'd be inclined to use the nt3 on the snare and the 57 on kick. Then again, you've got some room to work since you've got several different kinds of mics, so you can experiment for a day or two, right?

sm57 on the snare is good. but no nt3 for the kick. i havent got any good results with it that way. But since the nt-3 is loud, it would be good as a centered overhead ;)
Oh and if you have some kind of bass pedal or POD, its always good to go direct with your bass. But its up to you

How about the NT1/NT3 for overhead, NT1/NT3 for guitar amp, SM57 for snare, SM57 for kick, and bass direct? Going direct with the bass will probably give you the best sound, since that's what most people do most of the time anyway. I have two NT1s (at one time, I had one), and I used a single NT1 as an overhead and got some pretty darn good results. I also used it about 3 to 4 feet away from my amp, where it was pointed in such a manner that it was about 2-3 inches to the right of the center of the cone, turned slightly so the diaphragm points towards that cone...like this (top view):

[==o==] <--- amp, the o is the speaker

/ <--- mic, away from center

Make sense? It gave me some good results, just watch the levels.

Meshuggah, I agree with kikling about taking the bass direct, you'll probably get bass spill into the drums anyway.

how bigs the kit??

cheers
john

you asked for it, i like pontificating on puzzles such as this....
from your post I'd assume you were planning on tracking the band live? if so... then yes, run the bass direct... you will have plenty of bass amp sound in the drum mics. Try the NT-1 and NT-3 as overheads, no need in trying to make them a spaced pair since they are so different, spread them out and just watch for phase problems. Think the NT-1 over the floor tom and ride, the NT-3 on the other side with the high hats pointing into the snare and rack toms somewhat. this will be most of your drum sound. ATM 11???? dont know this mic, I checked out their web site, is it a Pro 11? which is a talkback mic. Try an AT on snare. a 57 in the kick and a 57 on the guitar cab. use the other AT as a tlakback mic (talkback mics are so cool, you gotta have one set up! :D) or... stick it underneath the snare mirroring the other one or on the beater side of the kick for more attack.

if you aren't tracking live use a 57 on the snare. And yes use the NT-1 on the bass amp- with the direct line. I've gotten some good sounds from an NT-1 on a bass cab.

but regardless experiment experiment experiment....

-jhe

here's what I did

I've done some experimenting with going direct with the bass, and through a Guitar POD, but IMO it sounds waaaay to hollow that way.. I want a fat, thick, tight bass-sound, and the only way I ever had that is when I mic the amp..

The ATM11's are electret condensers.. I've never tried more expensive mics out, so to my ears they sound good.. in a bright way..

I did like this... ATM's for overheads, NT-3 for kick, SM57 for bass and guitar.. If I had another SM57, I had used it for the snare. That turned out better then I'd ever expected.. I don't have any place to monitor this, so I just set the levels and added some comp by feel... Bass sound turned out fat, thick and tight. and the kick blends in very good as an added attack to it. I'll definitly post this on the mp3 board when it's done.

Thanx for your advice :D

Back