what would you pay for USED? SM7b

CoolCat

Ive been waiting for a deal, nothing much coming up on SM7b.
I had one & sold it and prices went up and now the used seem to be more than they are worth.

Is it crazy to spend $300 on a used mic, when a brand new , with all the foam and warranty and return box is only $99 more?

I was thinking a used SM7b would be $200-$250. Not the going $350 or sometimes $300 on CL.
Its used man? no warranty, used foam spittle pieces..ew.. often no original boxes and peace of mind.

maybe I'll just grab a SM58 and 57, as I recall they didnt sound much different, just have to watch the distance and all that crap. Ive always thought about building a metal mesh tube to attach to a SM58, screw it on and have the SM7"metal grill"....toss on a foam piece.

im getting old? SM7b are supposed to be $250 new, MIM Fenders are supposed to be $249 new...not $400+ :p

regards,

Rip Van Winkle

What I usually do to get a "blue Book" value on most anything I may want to purchase or sell is go to Ebay and do a search of that item with the option to only show sold items...that gives me a baseline as to what I am trying to buy or sell is really worth / what the market will bear...I am a frugal shopper and like a deal but I know what I want and am realistic about the "you get what you pay for adage"

Here's the current results of an Shure SM7B on EBAY Looks like they sell for between $200 and $300 on the open market used...Good Luck!

Im on the fence. Thanks for idea bounce.

0% interest, $399 new....with warranty.

I guess at $99 for brand new, box, new foam spittle and warranty and peace of mind its brand new.
I just offered a dude $200 for a used one, but I don't know ..its missing things and is used and NO REFUNDS.

then I think, SM58 brand new $89....soundwise pretty darn close. But the SM7b is what it is, its worth its cost and the brain buzz of having the real deal is a great studio piece.

Looking at used SM58's, its a no brainer...new $89 or used unknown for $60...New is easy for $25more.

I suppose if I knew the dude or it was someone who tried a SM7b and said "this sucks!!" and was just dumping it Super Mint...

yeah Ive been on Reverb, checking the Buy it Now on ebay… same $350 seems most common. The $250-275 are auctions.

I'll probably buy a new one and sell something with dust on it to get down to my $250 range/budget.

I joke how my hobby is "buying gear, then selling it at a loss.".... if I buy 7b again , I can add "and repurchase another at a higher price." :eek:

I'd probably have a ceiling of half the current retail price for a second hand mic - not more, or I'd buy a brand new one with warranty and no spit!

I am betting that most don't want to sell a SM7b because they don't wan't to. Unless there is something wrong with it... That is always in the back of my head when I buy used mics.

Where is Moresound? He is the only person I have ever purchased used mics from.

I've bought New, factory refurbed and use batting 1000 so far...On Ebay I just check the sellers rating as long as they have been around for a few years and are above 99 I'm willing to take the risk...I always communicate before I bid and ask why they are selling it and are there any details I should know before bidding e.g. does it come with the case, cord..how old is it are you the original owner etc..If they are willing to respond to the inquistion have a good rep It's a safe bet it is going to be fine..

I have a fondness for sm57's meself and own a few plus a beta 57

Ive bought used and not any horror stories, but the risk is huge....and used for me has to be stupid-cheap.
Like aKSM44 for $376...KSM27 at $80....(but I don't even see these low prices anymore, which kind of started this thread)

Used is risk. I think the post that had a guy bought a nuemann 67 or 87..something, sent it in for a cleanup/maintenance to a pro and the pro said it had a fake capsule in it. the dude was blaming the repair guy for the swap out...but maybe it was the seller?

theres copycat Sm57/58 all over...and abused..lol
so the risk = cheap , imo.

I don't buy back the same thing often but this time a Shure SM7b.... mistake sale. :cursing:

I'm not sure how people get $300 for a used SM7b with no box, no back plate, and just the one, well used foam filter. They don't get it from me.

I generally like to keep my eye out for open box/demo items and get them from GC where I can take 6mos to pay no interest (but sales tax), or a places like Zzounds or Sweetwater where I can spread the payments over 4-8 months for about $10. It doesn't put be stupidly in debt, there's an extremely friendly return policy, and if you keep it, there's that warranty you probably won't need, but at least you know you didn't buy a fake or spend a couple hundred on something that will only expose its faults after there's no recourse. Just not worth it for electronics. Of course, if it's seller you can trust and/or a piece of equipment that's clearly in good shape and what it says it is, and the price is right, that can change the calculus. My collection of SM57/8/Beta57a's are all used mics. No fakes, no problems, but I bought all of them for less than a single SM7b...

My thoughts:

My 58 with no transformer was basically free via some horse trading (sold some of the stuff I traded for and did the math). Didn't have to boil it to get the trafo out either, but there is a resonator that cannot be removed on the 58. If I had to do it paying $99 or so for a 57/58, I'd wait until I had a coupon code and do it(or probably I'd buy used).

I have, just as example, a Beyer d50d, Senn e902 that went on some sort of half price blowout a few weeks ago, and an AT Pro25. All three together cost less than a $300 used SM7B, all will do vocals, and I can mic a drum set with my three (and two of them were new, the blowout pricing was the only reason I got them).

When you can get a 57, new or used, and a used Heil Pr40 or Pr30, and still be under the three bills for an SM7B used? I can't justify the SM7b. FWIW I do want one, I just think the alternatives are better for my dollar. I feel exactly the same about the $300 new Sennheiser MD421 (and that's Black Friday pricing).

I'm not sure how people get $300 for a used SM7b with no box, no back plate, and just the one, well used foam filter. They don't get it from me.

I know how that happens. Hype...

The entire blogosphere is praising the SM7b as the best mic for podcasting. There are numerous YT vids out there praising this mic. And it's a good mic, paired with a very good preamp, cause it's very low output.

I generally like to keep my eye out for open box/demo items and get them from GC where I can take 6mos to pay no interest (but sales tax), or a places like Zzounds or Sweetwater where I can spread the payments over 4-8 months for about $10. It doesn't put be stupidly in debt, there's an extremely friendly return policy, and if you keep it, there's that warranty you probably won't need, but at least you know you didn't buy a fake or spend a couple hundred on something that will only expose its faults after there's no recourse. Just not worth it for electronics. Of course, if it's seller you can trust and/or a piece of equipment that's clearly in good shape and what it says it is, and the price is right, that can change the calculus. My collection of SM57/8/Beta57a's are all used mics. No fakes, no problems, but I bought all of them for less than a single SM7b...

I buy very cheap and broken LDC's, to use the housing for DIY mics. Often enough, these aren't broken, or even bad. I'm currently testing a Simbolon. Bought it for 10 €. It's obviously a Chinese made mic. Marketing experiment from a German outfit. They couldn't make it work, so it was dumped on ebay. The SRP was 90€, the dumping price 30€. Mine was 2nd hand. The guy who bought it didn't have phantom power on his interface.

This isn't an LDC, but a small electret in an LDC housing. But...

It's a decent enough mic that I haven cannibalised it yet. The glassfiber board is good quality, the housing even better. The board isn't completely stuffed and the layout suggests I could use it for a real condenser mic. It's simply too good to scrap.

I do have some hyped mics. They're not better than the unknown cheapies. Every mic has some character.

I like having a lot of mics, to experiment.

My thoughts:
When you can get a 57, new or used, and a used Heil Pr40 or Pr30, and still be under the three bills for an SM7B used? I can't justify the SM7b. FWIW I do want one, I just think the alternatives are better for my dollar. I feel exactly the same about the $300 new Sennheiser MD421 (and that's Black Friday pricing).

I see the Heil PR40 with cable and mic stand on sale for $277, free ship... seems like a good deal?
taking the $30 off for cable and stand, that's a $247 Heil PR40.

Recording Hacks seems to really like it and Tape Op, but SM7B seems to win for vox in general posts/reviews. brand new at $277 is tempting.

Ive always wondered about this "Dynamic that sounds like a LDC" Heil PR40.
2mv/pa it should be a good noisy room mic at -53db, but it has a 1.1" element maybe getting more LDC sounding.

Someday I might get one of those SM7bs but I've got a mess of dynamics already and certainly for voiceover, as someone posted in another thread, the average person is not going to hear the difference between that very spendy SM7b and the ubiquitous SM58/57 type, maybe with a foam windscreen.

Another "dynamic that sounds [almost] like a condenser] that popped up on my radar is the Miktek PM9. I just got one of those, supposedly used, for a song (online Miktek dealer), and I have to say, it does have some of those qualities. Not necessarily the ones that like my voice (the dream lives on :)), but it's a good sounding addition to the bag. The included spec sheet looks very flat, unbelievably so down low, so I'll have to try it out on a bass or kick one of these days, too.

Someday I might get one of those SM7bs but I've got a mess of dynamics already and certainly for voiceover, as someone posted in another thread, the average person is not going to hear the difference between that very spendy SM7b and the ubiquitous SM58/57 type, maybe with a foam windscreen.

Another "dynamic that sounds [almost] like a condenser] that popped up on my radar is the Miktek PM9. I just got one of those, supposedly used, for a song (online Miktek dealer), and I have to say, it does have some of those qualities. Not necessarily the ones that like my voice (the dream lives on :)), but it's a good sounding addition to the bag. The included spec sheet looks very flat, unbelievably so down low, so I'll have to try it out on a bass or kick one of these days, too.

Got a PM9 off eBay for $137 a while back and very pleased with it. Yes, condenser like sound it does have.

Can you get a warm and fuzzy feeling for this mic?........ :)
Used EV RE320
I did try one of those and didn't like it enough to send it back. (Posted something about that early this year or late last - can't recall exactly.)

It had a surprising amount of proximity effect (IMO) considering that is supposed to be one of the 20's big plusses. And it accentuated sibilance in my voice more than any other mic I'd used to that point. In short, I don't think it's a bargain version of the 20, but I've never tried a 20, so could be wrong!

I did try one of those and didn't like it enough to send it back. (Posted something about that early this year or late last - can't recall exactly.)

It had a surprising amount of proximity effect (IMO) considering that is supposed to be one of the 20's big plusses. And it accentuated sibilance in my voice more than any other mic I'd used to that point. In short, I don't think it's a bargain version of the 20, but I've never tried a 20, so could be wrong!

I have both the RE20 and the RE320. The RE320 does sound different, a bit crisper and more clarity, which might accentuate the sibilance you experienced. If I were to chose one to sell, the RE20 would be the one to go.

Back