What mic for minidisc player/recorder

brainofj

I want to record bands playing live at my local rock venues with a minididc player/recorder. Are there any small stereo mics on the market for this purpose, or something i could make up myself?? I just intend to sit at the bar and have a beer, and hit record, no messing about.

I've had really good results with the Audio Technica 822. It's a 2 capsule XY stereo condenser mic that uses a battery (not phantom power) and has a 1/8" adaptor to go into MDs Walkmans, etc. It'll probably cost as much as your MD recorder, but it's a lot better than the other 1/8" output cheapo condensers I've heard.

Scott

sony condenser mic

A friend of mine bought a small Sony stereo condenser mic which at that time cost about 200 Deutschmark (about 100$). It does its job very well, he often records live gigs with it as well, and if the sound of the PA is good and the mic is well-placed the results can be quite astonishing.

You can look at a picture of the mic here. Recommended!

'nother one

If you search through google with the exact product number you can find quite a few links. you can buy it here for 89$.

I've been having good luck with the Sony 717. It's $20 cheaper here than what I payed for mine. It's small. It makes a difference what type of recorder you have too.
DIY
here

I have the Sony ECM-MS907. It's good for a plastic mic, very good stereo image, almost freaky....often times I'll jerk around thinking that what I'm hearing is real!

The only problem is that it's kind of big. Well, it's not "big", but you can't hide it while you're using it, if that's an issue for you.

The base that it comes with will come in handy for recording your band without a lot of hassle, but if it's bumped it'll tip over.

One of the biggest things you can do if you're using a portable minidisc recorder is to get one of those handy portable preamp/phantom power boxes and run into the recorder's line in. Most minidisc recorders have very noisy and not very good sounding mic preamps.

Slackmaster 2000

Bumping this to see if there are any more opinions on mic's out there. I just got a Sony NZ-707 and I am trying to look at all the possibilites.

I'll second the comment on the Sony ECM-MS907. I got one for my mini-disc recorder, and was impressed by its performance, considering its size/cost and the nature of the MD as a recording medium (well, the bad rap the earlier ones had) - I use mine for recording our band's live gigs.

- Wil

with the sony ecm--ds70p I got noise from the MD heads or mechanism doing it's thing when starting recording and ending. Picked up a lot of noise from the md and the clip broke real easy on it. I have to come up with some way to replace it, maybe rubber band and paper clip....

this mic is $74, i think. setero and looks like a T. 1/8 plug.

Attachments

• mic.jpg
    mic.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 119
Got one of those EMC series. The numbers change all the time, but the mics are about the same (spec and price). Good for the price and the battery last very long. A roll of tape to steady them is useful.

I use also a couple of AT MT830R lavaliers with a portable dat. Easy for interviews, just clip one on each party. Cliped to your lapels, they sound great. More sensitivity than the sony.

Back