what mic is good for recording Vocalist who scream/yell/growl

newjacksm

Well, im in a hardcore band and im in the works of making a home studio I was wondering what a good mic is to record with. I right now use a Shure SM58 for live preformences. I dont think it would be good to record with. Also what are some techneques to scream during a recording because I like to have the mic up to my face and its hard not to move around.

This was done with an AT3035.

Nukelius: 5:30

Great mic on any budget really. It's also the mic on the guitar panned right. An old demo of my brother's I did.

Uh...*explicit lyrics*

War

newjacksm said:
Also what are some techneques to scream during a recording because I like to have the mic up to my face and its hard not to move around.

1: Don't scream. Sing.

2: Screaming is like keyboard player beating their hands with a hammer. It kills your voice.

3:A song is to be sung not screamed. Thats like slap'n the guitar strings.

4: If you must scream turn from the mix so you don't spit all over it.

5: Take a nerve pill so you can handle the stress.

Best of luck!!!

hahaha, sorry ? don't scream ?
dude, its not chrissmass songs they're making, so let 'm scream ;.

anywayz, i got an AKG c414, me and some friends did some screaming tests, to see what the mic can handle, and it feels like you can distort the mic,
i thought this one could handle very high SPL's ?

i'm not gonna buy me a second condenser for vocals, gonna use this one till it dies (or till i win the lottery)

so whats the best solution to prevent distortion? its not really distortion, its more like you can FEEL the pressure on the diaphragm ;..

put two popfilters in front of the mic ? or will the PADS do a perfect job ?

...or....is it possible that my mic can handle the SPL, but my preamp can't ?
i got a Joemeek VC8 fathead (yeah yeah, for guitars;..but i'm using it for everything;..)

ps..nice recording

Last edited:
deepwater said:

2: Screaming is like keyboard player beating their hands with a hammer. It kills your voice.

Best of luck!!!

that quote is crap.

dude, an audio technica 40 47 or a decent tube mic will do you well, oktava makes a cheap one check them out.
alot of it has to do with the PREAMP you use too i use a voicemaster pro and it sounds awesome for scream stuff.
as for moving around and stuff while recording....though luck dude, stay in one place and do your thing when doin tracks in the studio, youll have plenty of time to dance around on stage.,

late.

Many screamers like to hold the mic, and they also like to eat the mic... I recommend a dynamic mic for this type of screamer. And remember, pop filters also cut the highs.

deepwater said:

Best of luck!!!

Deepwater usually has some pretty good things to say, but here I have to disagree. Even if you're not talking about emo/screamo/hardcore, there's still a lot of good songs that wouldn't be out there without a little screaming. I'm glad no one told Chris Cornell not to scream when he was in Soundgarden.

As far as mics, both the EV RE20 and the Shure SM7 have been mentioned. Those are the two I would probably try. Give the SM58 a shot. I've heard of quite a few people using those suckers in the studio.

I'm going to have to back up chessrock, big kenny, and DJL here. You should really look into a nice dynamic mic for screaming vocals. IMHO, A high quality dynamic mic through a good mic pre seems to work better than a condensor nine times out of ten for hardcore or metal screamers. The trick with dynamic mics is that you need a good mic pre to drive them because they have such low output. However, a top of the line dynamic mic will cost you far less $$$ then a top of the line condensor. Even an sm58 will often sound surprisingly good through a great mic pre.

Mics to check out:
sm7
ev re20
beyer soundstar mkII

mic pres on a budget:
safe sound p1
fmr rnp
hamptone jfet
sytek
grace 101

kick ass mic pres:
great river me1nv
langevin dual vocal
osa or api lunchbox

I like a little just not a whole song worth of it. I recorded a band like that once and they said the vocals where not intelligible. I used 58s by the way. I don't think it was the mic. I still don't know what the song was about.

Sorry if I offended anyone just wanted to offer some constructive feedback. Which was my personal opinon.

I leave you with this.

Try the EV re20 and Audix VX10

DJL said:
Many screamers like to hold the mic, and they also like to eat the mic... I recommend a dynamic mic for this type of screamer. And remember, pop filters also cut the highs.
My thinking too. If the SM7 or RE20 were out of their league I would go with a MD421

On the subject of screaming. If you are really screaming you will either need to change your technique of suffer a very short career. Simple fact. Now there are techniques that sound like screaming or wailing but are not stressing the vocal cords, and screamers that have had more than a one-album career have learned to use them.

Innovations said:
My thinking too. If the SM7 or RE20 were out of their league I would go with a MD421

On the subject of screaming. If you are really screaming you will either need to change your technique of suffer a very short career. Simple fact. Now there are techniques that sound like screaming or wailing but are not stressing the vocal cords, and screamers that have had more than a one-album career have learned to use them.

Screaming at least to me just seems like a vocal performance with a lot of "grit" to the sound. A singer like Pavorotti(sp) uses no grit but a singer like Sebastian Bach uses a combination of both.

Although adding that grit does trash your voice some and if your tone is all grit well then you won't last very long IMO.

Coming from a metal guy, try to put some kind of light distortion on the screams, or it will sound "too clean".

In live situations, when the guys scream, it naturally creates a distorted sound by the time it gets to the PA. I've used some tape sim plugins and it worked out nicely to give a little "edge" to the screams, yet still retain some clarity of what's being said. I'm sure a dynamic through some sort of tube preamp driven pretty hard might yield good results if you wanted to do it in the signal chain.

gawkman said:
Coming from a metal guy, try to put some kind of light distortion on the screams, or it will sound "too clean".

In live situations, when the guys scream, it naturally creates a distorted sound by the time it gets to the PA. I've used some tape sim plugins and it worked out nicely to give a little "edge" to the screams, yet still retain some clarity of what's being said. I'm sure a dynamic through some sort of tube preamp driven pretty hard might yield good results if you wanted to do it in the signal chain.
Whats a good pedal for distortion on the voice? I was thinking of getting a
http://www.bananas.com/productdetail.asp/pid_2455/productname_Digitech-Vx400-Vocal-Effects-Pedal

but I dont think that would have distortion on it.. anyways so yeah.. whats a good pedal to put distortion in the voice?

Innovations said:

I know how to scream, Iv done various testings and what felt more comfortable. Right now. I feel perfectly fine. and my vocal chords never get strained after 3-6 hours of practice...

If you're hold a dynamic in your hand, please don't 'cup' the ball in your hand, you know, the way everyone does? It'll sound even worse on the recording than it does live. If you've got a good scream, then good luck to you.

PS - I have the Beyer Soundstar MkII and it's a very good mic, I prefer it to my Shures SM58 and 545D. I haven't ever had an SM-7 though so I can't comment on Harvey's rumour that they sound very similar. The Beyer will be super-cheap if you can find it on ebay though.

ah true,
if you really wanna scream, then you'll fuck up your voice after a while,
i know great "metal singers" that stopped doing their thing cause their throad was GONE...

anywayz....its true again...like 9 out of 10 people always told me to go with dynamic mics for screaming.... ..don't forget screamers spit alot... wouldn't like to see a liter of spit hanging on my only condenser i got.

and i just know its a BITCH to tell the metal singer NOT to touch the mic, and not to make that "little ball" around the mic, with your fist;...
they all like that extreme Middle-sound ;.. but indeed, it kinda sucks when you r'ecord it

and i don't care putting one or two pop filters in front of a screamer;... aha, it takes away some high end... but rather that than all those sick POPs and stuff

and i had some nice results when the singer stood away "pretty far" from the mic ;.. sounded less solit... but more mysterious ...
i think awesome for black metal... but not everyone records that...hehe

looks like its becoming time to buy a Sennheiser 441
i've been reading NOTHING but good stuff about that mic.. yeah...
i guess everyone should have one of those laying next to their 57''s

theres a right way and wrong way to scream.
ive been doing it for 10 years now in various projects, and i have zero singing/throat/voice issues.
i also think that some peoples voice boxes just arent made to endure it.
as for all the "pro-dynamic-mic" opinions. I agree it gives good results, but over the last 3 years ive gotten consistenly, and audibly better results with this type of vocal when using a good condenser, and a good preamp.

2 cents.

Back