What mic to get

TeanerysTheUnic

So I've been using a Rode NT1-A for about two years, mainly for voice acting and singing recording, just at home in my bedroom with no fancy sound walls or anything else. Since I might need a replacement though, I was wondering if I might be better off switching to something else. I've heard decent things about the Blue Snowball, Yeti and Spark. Again, I don't record in a studio or anything, which is also why I don't know if the Rode is the best thing for me although I've been happy with the sounds so far. I've been using it just with a Berhinger U-Phoria UM2 that goes straight to Tracktion on my pc.
What are some good recommendations/opinions on my situation? Should I get a different mic? Which one? I'm hoping to stay in the same price range, that being between about 50 and 150 euro.

why exactly do you think the mic should be replaced? You should be able to get very good recordings with that mic. It has low noise floor, detail, and a little top end hype without being to sibilant. What would you gain from switching mics ? Is there a specific type of sound you want? Darker? Warmer? Brighter? There is no context here. You say you are happy with the mic then I'd say keep it. The magic is in learning what to do with the mic. I don't know that swapping off mics is going to get you anywhere, other than just having a different mic.

Money better off spent treating your recording area. The sound from the Rode could possibly improve many times over.

Sound treatment is not 'fancy'. It is usually essential.

Money better off spent treating your recording area. The sound from the Rode could possibly improve many times over.

Sound treatment is not 'fancy'. It is usually essential.

Rev 2;
Even some simple heavy soft stuff hung around one and their mic does these-

1) It attenuates all them room nasties in level relative to what the mic sees.
2) What the mic sees' is proportional to the levels of the source- and the room nasties levels.
3) That ratio -wanted vs nasties, can be improved by getting up close to our mics.
4) Having to 'Get up close to the mic has drawbacks as a 'solution (is in problematic, in tone, one-size fit
all' maybe too big too close mouth/breath noises etc etc.
5) A bit of movable treatment expands your quality useful mic distance 'tone options.

All that aside... :>) Try an RE20. It brings some rather unique and useful qualities to the table..

Last edited:
Is wanting to get a new mic partly because of the problem with the NT1a noted in this thread >>> Is my mic broken?

The 'good' test clip in that thread sounds pretty good to my ears. Would you be looking for a different mic for a slightly different flavor/color for you voice?

Rev 2;
Even some simple heavy soft stuff hung around one and their mic does these-

1) It attenuates all them room nasties in level relative to what the mic sees.
2) What the mic sees' is proportional to the levels of the source- and the room nasties levels.
3) That ratio -wanted vs nasties, can be improved by getting up close to our mics.
4) Having to 'Get up close to the mic has drawbacks as a 'solution (is in problematic, in tone, one-size fit
all' maybe too big too close mouth/breath noises etc etc.
5) A bit of movable treatment expands your quality useful mic distance 'tone options.

All that aside... :>) Try an RE20. It brings some rather unique and useful qualities to the table..

You should give this info to the other voice over artists who have spent many thousands on recording booths and treatments for their studios. I would love to see their chins hit the floor when they realise all they needed was a few old heavy blankets and to get closer to their U87. :)

It is true hanging up old blankets or even getting under the duvet will stop some bad sound.

Last edited:
I am fairly sure Rode give a ten year warranty on their mics if you have registered it. Even if you didn't, worth an email to see if they can help?

Changing to a dynamic will be a big culture shock! I doubt the Berry AI + dynamic will be anywhere near as quiet as the NT-1 and the almost unavoidalbe grill kissing will make a huge differnce to the OP's voice. Going to talk heresy now...

If Rode want the mic back for examination and possible repair/replacement, risk $30 or so on a BM-800 from 'Zon. Ok, yes they ARE cheeeeapo but on an XLR with phantom power work quite well and I would aver would beat a neg 57 dBV dynamic and the Berry for noise?
In any case, when you get the NT back you will appreciate it all the more!

Dave.

Back