What mic is this?

Jazzjohn

Can anyone identify it from the picture? I've had it for years and it stopped working.
ATTACH=CONFIG]104539[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20190513_130045.jpg
    20190513_130045.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
Hi Mark, my amp doesn't have phantom power, so there must be battery power, but I can't see how the battery is accessed. Maybe the battery leaked and glued the thing shut.

I seem to have a memory of changing the battery years ago. I unscrewed every screw and the windscreen end. I know there's a battery in there because I measure about 200mV DC (as from a dead battery) going into the switch circuit board.
Thank you very much,
John

Ahh... Just read the link you provided. Yes, it must be glued shut from a leaky battery. Hope I can salvage this thing. Thanks again.

Yep, got it. What a mess inside! The top half of the battery disintegrated and the bottom half is stuck in there. I have some excavation to do! Thanks.

It was tedious... but it's done. SUCCESS!

I'll be sure to check the battery a little more often.

Thanks!

I seem to recall that you can wash out battery electrolyte with a solution of Sodium carbonate? Once bone dry a light spray of silicone oil will keep it protected, the stuff you spray on clothes irons.

Dave.

I seem to recall that you can wash out battery electrolyte with a solution of Sodium carbonate? Once bone dry a light spray of silicone oil will keep it protected, the stuff you spray on clothes irons.

Dave.

Good tip. Thanks.
John

I'm thinking Dave may have meant Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) which could be used on an 'acid' type battery such as in a car. If the AA battery is an 'alkaline' type it takes a bit different approach and actually uses a mild acid to neutralize it. Just go easy to avoid liquid seeping into the electronics of the mic.

How to Clean Alkaline Battery Corrosion | LoveToKnow
How to clean a battery compartment containing corroded alkaline batteries..

Yeah, thanks Mark, I got that ALL wrong! (except the silicone oil)

Dave.

Back