What kind of microphone gives me privacy?

cloa513

I live in Japan. My wife is Japanese. We live in her parent's house on the first floor and they live on the second floor. They can hear us perfectly with all doors shut. I'd like to have a microphone for plugging into a PC with a fitting that obscures voices. What should I search for? Google is useless.

I can't make sense of what you're asking for here. How would a microphone affect how other people in the house hear you? Can you clarify a bit?

build a vocal booth, from a closet or buy one.
paper thin construction and shared homes will always be noisy and often intrusive.

What he said (cool cat)
The space you’re working in is the problem, not the mic.
Remember a mic makes NO noise on it’s own ( unless you drop it or hammer with it ;))
It only picks up the sound in the environment.

It is geometry

build a vocal booth, from a closet or buy one.
paper thin construction and shared homes will always be noisy and often intrusive.

It is sound path problem- her parents are directly above us. I tried once while talking myself, running a radio but she (when upstairs) could still hear everything. I only want the talking sound to be vague. I often hear neighbors and know they are talking but not understand a sound they say. Sound booths sounds like overkill.

From Amazon.com
Karaoke-Noiseless-Microphone-iPhone-smartphone/dp/B00E3OAHH0

You've got it wrong - we often look for microphones that don't pick up the sound of you touching it, a noiseless mic would be silent and no use - think about what6 you're asking. Sounds from your space leak from where they're created to where in this case, they're not wanted. A mic is designed to capture this noise, NOT reduce it. The only thing that soundproofs space is mass and materials sound passes through that soak up it's energy. You cannot buy anything magical to reduce sound transmission - that's why soundproofing is so expensive. It's also heavy, and a house that is lightweight probably won't take the weight of doing this.

We can advise on many mics that are really sensitive and can collect very feint sounds, but that's not what you want. They could wear earplugs of course, but without structural work to stop sound energy escaping, equipment cannot help.

Have we really understood what you want to do? You cannot find any gizmo on Google/Amazon/Ebay that prevents sound in one space leaking through lightweight walls or ceilings - unless it's plasterboard/brick/concrete/MDF/plywood and air spaces. Nothing that is electrical has been invented yet.

A microphone isn't the solution to your problem. I'm not sure why you're thinking that a microphone plugged into a phone would have any impact whatsoever on other people hearing you in the other rooms of a house.

I think that the white noise generator is a good suggestion. It'll provide a wash of noise that'll obscure the voices that carry into other rooms. But it'll be annoying to be near it for long periods of time. One of my friends sleeps with one every night and I don't know how he does it. I'd be going out of my mind after about 10 minutes. But it works. Maybe put it in her parents' room instead :)

A microphone picks up the sounds that are in the room; no more, no less. You can keep the microphone closer to you, or lower noise.

Back