What else do you use SM7B for?

aaronmcoleman

The truth is out there!
I'm probably going to buy one anyway just for vocals, but what else do you guys use your SM7B for besides vocals?

I've done some searches, but I'd like to hear from you all.

It's inexpensive for a vocal mic, and I don't really care for the way my NTK does my voice anymore, so I'm moving on. It'd be cool if it does stuff other than vocals, but for $350 I'll take it just for the vocals.

Thanks!

Great kick mic right there!
Not too shabby infront of a guitar cab either.

Plenty of people use it on bass cabs; I never have.

I don't use an SM7B any more but when I did I rarely used it on vocals unless I wanted a deep "radio announcer" voice full of resonance for a voiceover job.

However, I agree it did a pretty good job on kick mic and I also used it a few times on violin when people came in with instruments I found too "screechy". It did a good job of adding warmth to a not-so-good instrument.

Well ... I wanted to see if my 7b was as indestructible as my 58 and it doesn't hammer nails all that good. :(

My 57 has been used to push nails in too! I did scratch it up pretty good, but it worked...no hammering though because I was afraid of damaging the insides.

Well, I need a good kick mic and another vocal mic, so I think the 7B will do.

Anyone use it on acoustics or banjo or anything weird like that?

Acoustics/banjo, probably not. Its low output makes it work better for loud sources. Good on 'bone, trumpet, sax. Great on Djembe, cajone. Whatever it is, if it's loud, the SM7b will like it.-Richie

When I briefly shared a house with a banjo player (somewhere around 1972) it seemed quite loud enough to me....

Back