What do we think about Samson C02 ?

thinfinn

Wondering what you think about Samson C02 condenser pair for value for money, overhead drums and acoustic. That sort of thing.
I have spotted them and have read some good reviews for the budget.

Cheers.

If you have to, buy a second hand pair and start saving up for something better. Good condensers don't come (that) cheap.

I did hear they're pretty good for their price range. But I suppose crack hookers look pretty good for their price range, and that doesn't mean much either.

Still, if Moresound is actually using them that says something.

I have a set that came with a Samson drum mic kit. I liked them pretty well, and they did what I wanted them to do...until one started popping and making noise.

For those new to recording, they work well.

I dont own them but have used them as overheads on a drum kit and yes they are bright but still really bang for the bucks.

I used them in this recording:

I like them ok, but they definitely don't sound phenomenal (obviously for 130/pair). They're bright and tight, good for more rock stuff than picking up the nuances of a drum kit. I use my NT1as when I want a more detailed recording of the kit, but those have almost the opposite problem in that they're too open, or "live", for that produced rock sound. I wouldn't really use them for too much else other than overheads.

I'm looking to upgrade to Rode NT5s soon, I've heard really amazing recording made with those mics. I definitely got my use out of the C02s for the recordings I was doing, but I don't think you'd ever get passed the "project studio" sound in your recordings with these mics. If you're just starting out and you're not going to cross that threshold regardless of the mics you have, I would recommend them.

AFAIK, the Samson C02 is basically just a stock Chinese condenser. In my experience, those types of mics tend to be way too harsh for good drum recordings, IMO. You get sizzly cymbals and really poor stereo imaging of the kit. Save up a little more money and go with a pair of Oktava MK-012 mics instead. They'll cost you about 3x what the Samson pair costs, but they're well worth it.

Back