What is the difference...

guitarlover

I have 2 Marshall V67 mics. These are the black anodized mics that otherwise look very similar to the V67G.

I have two questions. First, are they the same mic in different packaging?

Second, I have been hearing some good things about these mics, but I wasn't overly impressed for what I was using them for. I record acoustic guitar. I need to move the miics back to avoid breath noise. They sounded hollow form that distance. In all fairness, I didn't have my current preamp (DMP-3). That may have something to do with it although I did A-B comparisons with the Marshall's, my Shures and my A-Ts. My question is are they better used on close-micing? If this is the case, I will sell them as I really don't have a use for them.

BTW, I bought 2 audio -technica AT3035's and it's like night and day.

Thanks, Steve

I don't think the Marshall v67 is for everyone.

Some love it, and some hate it -- not much opinion in between. I'm not particularly thrilled with it, so maybe you're having similar experiences as I had.

If it ain't doin' it for ya, then maybe it's time to go with something else.

guitarlover said:
I have 2 Marshall V67 mics. These are the black anodized mics that otherwise look very similar to the V67G.

I have two questions. First, are they the same mic in different packaging?...
Yep.

I believe the black ones were made for Mars Music back when they were in business, but they’re the same as the gold ones.

I know what you mean about the breath sounds...I did a little acoustic work a few weeks ago using the V69 mic. It took me a while to find a good position for it. In the end, I used a small boom mounted baffle made from auralex between the players face and mic.. I put it on a second mic stand to ease the positioning. I too tried the back off technique but that didn't work out. I came back in close and deflected the breathing wind away from the mic.

Good luck.

The V67G is cooler looking than the V67..... :eek:

Same mic.

They work really well on a baritone singer male( hopefully) . Other than that, I have not found another use for them.

punkin said:
I know what you mean about the breath sounds...I did a little acoustic work a few weeks ago using the V69 mic. It took me a while to find a good position for it. In the end, I used a small boom mounted baffle made from auralex between the players face and mic.. I put it on a second mic stand to ease the positioning. I too tried the back off technique but that didn't work out. I came back in close and deflected the breathing wind away from the mic.

Good luck.

Not a bad idea. I may try that anyway, even with the At3035's. Thanks!
:D

Steve

I was surprised at the quality of the AT3035's. Tha salesman talked me into one and i was so impressed, I went back and bought a second.

I did buy the first of the V67's at Mars but I ended up getting the second at samash.com. I understand that they bought a lot of Mars' inventory.

Anybody want a couple of V67's? :cool:

Steve

Gidge said:
yeah, how much?

I was half joking but let me check. I have a freind locally who expressed interest. If its a no-go, I'll pm you. He was thinking of buying my entire "beginner"* setup*

* The Mics, a Tascam Porta 02 MKII recorder and a Behringer MX602A Mixer/preamp. I was also going to throw in a couple of cheapie cables.

Regards, Steve

<The Mics, a Tascam Porta 02 MKII recorder and a Behringer MX602A Mixer/preamp. I was also going to throw in a couple of cheapie cables.>

Yeah Steve,

Get rid of all this stuff as fast as you can...

Marik said:
<The Mics, a Tascam Porta 02 MKII recorder and a Behringer MX602A Mixer/preamp. I was also going to throw in a couple of cheapie cables.>

Yeah Steve,

Get rid of all this stuff as fast as you can...

Hey, gimmee a break! it got me started. OK! :D

Steve

I got my V67M black model including shipping and shockmount for $70.

Mine is intended as a different flavor to complement my AT4040. I'm OK with this investment in an occasional "try-this" type mic.

<Hey, gimmee a break! it got me started. OK!>

You don't want to know how I started... :eek: :)

darrin_h2000 said:
The Black model was outfitted with Magomi cable made to Mars' spec.

Apparantly Mars sold this different ways. Mine came without cables. I bought one from Mars and the other from Samash.com.

I just checked, there weren't shockmounts either. Didn't Marshall have another model that did though? As a matter of fact, the box wasn't designed to hold either. And I'm pretty sure the price was $89.95 through both outlets. Maybe I got ripped off but I think we're actually talking about 2 different mics. I'll check a little further. If you have more info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Steve :)

Back