what componets will make your voice cut through.....

Sofisticated

hey fellaz mah question is on what kind of mic would make ur voice crisp and noticable over a instramental....(rap)......the mic i have now seems to have a very muggy feel......just wanted to know your guys input......i was thinkin of the oktava 319 because guitar center has them for 99 bucks.....something in the 200-300 dollar range......i already have a bluetube and i think its awsome.....but thats just me......

dunno about mics, but you can first try to cut some low frequencies, say below 100hz, and take out the reverb/delay if you had applied some. These should make your voice standing out without that muddiness.

Oh, maybe a C1 would be your choice, lil over $200, with nice highs and a lowcut filter built in.

AL

Before talking gear.......

...worry about the arrangement of the song.

You should be leaving a sonic "hole" for the vocal frequencies to fit in by properly working out the song's arrangement.

Hey, I get the feeling Sofis is using something like a SM-57 for doing the vocals, and maybe adding some proximity to the vocals. If this is true, the added bass will be muddying up the mix because its pushing the vocals into the lower frequencies. Try all the below posted by everyone so far, good advice overall. To paraphrase:

So, take get a Studio Projects C1, and record your vocals at 12 to 16 inches from the mic. Make sure you follow Bruces advice on making sure all the supporting music is moved away from the frequency where your voice is centered. Leaving a Hole as he put it. Then use a little compression like Track Rat said to help clarify the vocals. see if panning some of the supporting music helps.

SoMm

From what Ive heard, most hiphop wont have bass mucking up the vocal range, because the pitch is as low as a kick drum or lower. If you add bass guitar while the voice is going , then things start to get muddy.

Funny but in reality Hip hop has less bass then most music, but you notice what its got more than in most music. Because theres nothing riding the bass drum, like a bass guitar or a synth.

Sofisticated, Oktava's quality control is poor.

If you're relying on it for something important, the place to buy
an Oktava is www.oktava.com AKA The Soundroom.
They quality check those microphones, whereas Guitar Center's
Oktava's differ wildly in quality. For "fun" I spent over an hour there going over a bunch of them to find the best one. Fat chance on ever matching a pair! One didn't work at all BTW.
Oktava's tend to have a darker tone than most other modern
condensers IMHO. (I have a MC-012 with the cardiod capsule)

With all due respect, since you wanted "crisp" vocals, I'd think
seriously about ditching the Presonus Blue Tube, and getting
a Studio Projects VTB-1 for $180 at www.bpmmusic.com
They had a deal where you'd get free 2nd Day Air shipping.
The VTB-1 has a much cleaner sound than the Blue Tube.

If your budget is $300 you could therefore get;

1) Studio Projects VTB-1 $180
2) Studio Projects B1 cardiod condenser approximately $ 80
(you could check BPM Music's return policy)

And still be well under $300.
Plus your dynamic mirophone will most likely sound better too.

Best of luck on your selection(s) and your music,

Chris

Track Rat said:
In a word, compression. A compressor can bring a vocal forward in a mix.

hmmmmm ya track i was thinkin about that.........a nice compressor........but will it make ur voice have a 'pushed forward' effect......

Chess - buddie thanks for the info.........im a little hesatant on getting stuff off the net only because of the fact im 17 and have no credit card.......and the only way that i could get one is if i used some sort of credit card scam with mah moms card......and that isnt gonna happen........ive been lookin all over for that damn preamp........not at guitar center.........not at mars music (whats left of it atleast)......musicans friend does but credit cards...ahhhhhh.......so a compressor or a vtb 1........??

thanks for ya input to the rest of u guys.......i appreciate it greatly

.........im a little hesatant on getting stuff off the net only because of the fact im 17 and have no credit card.......and the only way that i could get one is if i used some sort of credit card scam with mah moms card......and that isnt gonna happen........

I thought you were a Gansta, If you are going into hip hop, you are going to have to start somewhere.

Well...
Christmas is just around the corner!

What make and model of microphone are you using right now?
You may have a better microphone than you might think.
Also curious as to what recording format you're using.
That'll impact the quality of your recording too.

At a bit under $200, the Fmr. Audio RNC compressor is the best
"clean" compressor out there.

Chris

P.S. I've got a Presonus Blue Max for sale in the "For Sale" forum.
Feel free to ask me any questions in that forum, on that
thread. (It's the "bridesmaid" to the RNC IMHO)
It's about half the price of a new RNC though if budget
is a concern.

chessparov said:
Well...
Christmas is just around the corner!

What make and model of microphone are you using right now?
You may have a better microphone than you might think.
Also curious as to what recording format you're using.
That'll impact the quality of your recording too.

At a bit under $200, the Fmr. Audio RNC compressor is the best
"clean" compressor out there.

Chris

P.S. I've got a Presonus Blue Max for sale in the "For Sale" forum.
Feel free to ask me any questions in that forum, on that
thread. (It's the "bridesmaid" to the RNC IMHO)
It's about half the price of a new RNC though if budget
is a concern.

the model of the mic i got is an apex 430 L.D.C.....could it be the sund card too i have a audigy platinum ex (lol)......it works dont flame me.......but ya will that help make mah voice stand out say if i got a delta 44 or something of that nature......

Re: Before talking gear.......

Blue Bear Sound said:
...worry about the arrangement of the song.

You should be leaving a sonic "hole" for the vocal frequencies to fit in by properly working out the song's arrangement.

Yep. highlighting a certain freq. on the vocals (or if it is there natually) and making sure your guitar etc. are not pumped on the same freq. helps alot. also compression to keep your signal fairly even throughout helps to. with the compression (if needed) you need only highlight the vocal freq. slightly if at all. But as B.B. said if you have got alot of guitar at 4k and you are fighting with it because your voice is there also try moving your eq'ing around so they don't step on each others toes

Good luck

F.S.

The sound quality (or lack thereof) of the room you're recording in also
has a huge impact on how vocals sound too.
If you can, try recording in the best sounding room that's reasonably
available.

Chris

chess - thanks man ill keep that in mind when i start puttin mah room back together......bought a new desk and shit.........u know how it goes thanks for ya help though

hey Freudian Slip - thanks bro......i borrowed mah homies eq and cheap compressor and it did the trick.....so hopefully now all i gotta worry about gettin the cash......

Sofisticated, just remember us when you become a big time artist
and/or record producer!

Best of luck on your recording projects.

Chris

Your welcome:D

In turn I have to thank the ones who taught me this like Blue Bear. Ya see, it's not only Sh!t that rolls down hill:D

Good luck on your projects!

F.S.

Back