What is the best budget mic?

What is the best budget mic for recording videos?
What's the budget, how are you recording video, what kind of videos, and how do you plan to process the audio, i.e., separately from the video and sync or are you just looking for something to plug into a phone, camcorder, DSLR, or what?

Jeepers. Give us something to work with!

Covers using voice and instruments like guitar and ukelele and also would use it for gaming livestreams, budget would be 150$, and looking to plug into a computer! Sorry I'm new to this website :p

If you're looking for a "go buy this microphone" answer, I'm not the guy...

Minimum to start is an audio interface, boom mic stand, microphone, popscreen, headphones, and mixing software (DAW). IMO this is a challenge at your budget, but maybe you have some of the pieces already.

The least expensive audio interfaces out there right now seem to be the Behringer U-Phoria line. I have no experience with them. They do come with a license (after product registration) for the Traction DAW, something else I don't have experience with, but you can search around and see how people like the particular interface that fits your budget and how they feel about Traction software. (Most interfaces come with a DAW of some type, often a "lite" version, but probably enough to do what you are planning.)

I would simply work up a budget and see how much you really have left for a microphone, once you have everything else you need. Then, read reviews and narrow it down to a few, and then ask around for experience with the models you are looking at. I will say that condenser microphones are often better suited for the low cost interfaces, so those might be what you need to start with. (The guy at therecordingrevolution.com recommends the Samson C01 in his $350 home studio setup, and the video says it's only $79, FWIW. Again, no experience.)

There is no buy this answer. It always used to be 'buy a genuine Shure SM58' but does that qualify as budget any longer? Have you thought about what you are plugging it into? How loud will your sound source be? Then the important questions. What kind of sound so you want? The most important that you ducked, how much do YOU consider is budget. We have contributors on the forum who would consider less than 250 as budget. Other members would think 50 damn expensive. There is no 'best' just 'most appropriate' - to you, not us. Why not tell us some you fancy and we will tell you if they are total rubbish or good value.

The other thing is the acoustic properties of the room you're recording in, a condenser mic will pick up everything in a room, be it good, bad or otherwise. There is really no fast answer.

If the sole use was gaming/streaming I'd probably recommend a usb microphone and say be done with it,
but for home recording where additional instruments are involved the chances are, at some point, you're going to want to use more than one microphone and more options that a USB mic is going to offer.

If you're predominantly a streamer and fancy recording a song once a while for fun that it's no big deal,
but if the multi mic semi-serious setup appeals to you, I'd build it all around a half-decent audio interface to save buying twice. :)

BM-800 or one of its mates. Dirt cheap like 20 quid and plugs straight into a laptop mic jack with the supplied cable. Can also be used with an XLR-XLR cable on a phantom powered AI.

Yes! There is a lot wrong with all that ^ but it's a start.

Dave.

oops. yeah.."video recorder budget mic"... Ive no idea then.

BM800 looks like a start, Ive been looking at those arms....that's a lot of stuff for $29-$35..

Attachments

• Cheapo mic stuff.png
    Cheapo mic stuff.png
    379.8 KB · Views: 6
oops. yeah.."video recorder budget mic"... Ive no idea then.

BM800 looks like a start, Ive been looking at those arms....that's a lot of stuff for $29-$35..

Yeah, I know I suggested it and I have had two (just the LDC) and have been happy not to say stunned stupid by the build quality and the sound is not too shabby either (I posted some clips of me waffling and peeps did not call me an idiot) .

So, they work and give a fair level, about 10dB up on a 57 I would say, nowhere near my Sontronics LDC but that is perhaps a good thing. Well made but...QC is dreadful. I have read several posts here and other places of people having very low levels, noise and some outright buggeralls.

So, get one from 'Zon, test it out PDQ and moan like a drain if it doesn't work.

Dave.

the foam filter, pop filter and arm is all stuff I don't have at the moment.
toss in a mic holder, cable and mic....geeez? $35? lol

QC is a familiar thing, " if " you get a good one that works...a great deal.

EV RE410 or RE510 hand held condenser Mic. They are about $250 new but I got a used one from guitar center for $100.
Gives you the best vocal recording, without picking up room artifacts, of anything I have ever tried. (And i have tried a lot)
So, if you're not going to spend hundreds of dollars treating a room and just going to record in an untreated bedroom or living room...you can't beat it IMO

Here is a recording with a EV RE410 And a RE510 used as drum over heads...drums are re order with 4 mics. The Eva's as over heads and SM 58 on the snare and kick drum mix.
The vocal is recorded with a EV RE410 just standing in the middle of an untreated square room holding the mic in my hand
Listen to get off your phone and drive! remix by jimistone #np on #SoundCloud
get off your phone and drive! remix by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

saw this in CL today... Video Mic used...$100 Rode Shotgun Video Mic

Attachments

• video mic.png
    video mic.png
    404.3 KB · Views: 9
They're great for capturing atmos or general in front of a camera stuff, but they're not a very nice mic for anything close - a bit thin and weedy.

You might look at the Audio Technica ATR 2100 USB/XLR dynamic cardiod mic. You could just use USB right now without an audio interface.

Audio Technica ATR2100-USB USB/XLR Microphone with Knox Studio Stand and Pop Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSQFIRE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fK5.BbD0HBK6Z

Back