What actually causes the "Wet Mic problem" where mic cuts out and in

keyman69

I have three mics, two CAD GXL-2200’s and one Behringer B2 pro that exhibit a “wet mic cut out” problem when what I am presuming is the humidity in one’s breath causes the mic to cut out for a few seconds and then recover. I understand that all types of condenser mics are susceptible to this problem because of some problem that develops in their capsules.

What is the actual mechanism that causes this cut out? Is it a hole in the diaphragm or some other physical problem that develops over time? I have seen one microphone repair place say that 90% of the mics they get in with this problem don’t need to be “re-skinned” as in having the diaphragm replaced to cure this problem. That provides me with a hint that there is some procedure which once again makes the capsule immune from the humidity of one’s breath.

So, back to my original question: What is the failure mode in the capsule that makes it cut out?

I have never had the mic cut out due to moisture, rather it gets noisy and static. Cutting out and coming back usually means the diagram is stuffed.

Alan.

Back