Weird noises coming from mic'ed Hi-hat...

shinealight

I've been using an SM57 to mic my drummer's hi-hat for the past 3 or 4 recording sessions. Then, yesterday, he just bought a new Sabian hat which is a definite step up from his Pearl one...But, now when I record it, there is this constant pulse coming from the track. And when he opens his hat, it sounds like someone has flicked a spring, and buried it in low frequencies...

It's really strange...I've played around with the placement of it for about an hour last night, I can't seem to fix it. Any suggestions?

shinealight said:
I've been using an SM57 to mic my drummer's hi-hat for the past 3 or 4 recording sessions. Then, yesterday, he just bought a new Sabian hat which is a definite step up from his Pearl one...But, now when I record it, there is this constant pulse coming from the track. And when he opens his hat, it sounds like someone has flicked a spring, and buried it in low frequencies...

It's really strange...I've played around with the placement of it for about an hour last night, I can't seem to fix it. Any suggestions?
Sounds like you're picking up the side of the hi-hat and getting the airblast from the cymbals closing and opening. Move the mic to where it's above or below the hats and point it at the middle of the top or bottom cymbal, 1/2 way between the bell and the edge, at least 3 to 6" away from the top of the cymbal.

if neither of thoses comments above help then you may have a problem with your mic.
But harvey is probably correct.
those hats can push air into the mic if its positioned at the clasping point.
Thatll make a pretty nasty bass rumble type sound.

Turns out that it was just the placement. Thanks a lot.

But, would a high pass be good enough to clear those rumbles and noises out? Since we did three really good takes with the mic like that...

Back