Want to train my ear to mic differences

WhatZat

I've played guitar and bass for a long time so my ear has been tuned to things like various pickups, body construction, amplifiers and effects.

But now that I'm interested in recording I'm reading quite a number of threads and pdfs from here. And one question I have hasn't been answered by FAQs or searches yet: what can I listen to to help sensitize my ears to different mics when listening to recordings?

For example, if someone asks about a certain Telecaster sound I might point them to listen to Roy Buchanan or Danny Gatton. If they ask about a Gibson SG Bass sound I might point them to Jack Bruce.

So let me ask which famous mics or mic type characteristics can be identified by listening to which artists? Not just " oh, everyone uses a Shure SM57 when recording amplifiers" but rather " listen to this recording for this kind of vocal mike" or "this recording used ribbons instead of dynamics on the amp, and compare it to this recording to hear the difference". I understand the theory of how some mics are better for this application or that, but is there any audio to hear the difference?

In other words, are there signature recordings that I should listen to in order to identify signature mics?

My first question, but there you have it :)

Thanks

Mark

The problem with realizing or hearing differences in microphones is twofold. First, the differences are often subtle, much more than, say, the differences between a Telecaster and an SG. Second, the best way to identify differences in mics is to have "all other things equal" (more or less), so, for example, you want the same performer on the same instrument on the same take using the same preamp using the same converter and listening back and forth using the same monitoring system in the same room on the same day, etc.

Some mics are more different than others. Some are quite close to each other. Most work best for some applications, but not all. Price is no longer a determinative factor as to whether a particular mic is best for the application.

If you set up some experiments in the recording studio following these (and other) principles, and listen to the results, you should be able to subjectively state whether you hear any difference, and further be able to describe that difference (at least to yourself). Test further with ABX testing to address any confirmation bias you may have.

Good one paul! :D

I would think that you would benefit greatly by learning what frequencies sound like first. For example - can you identify 3K or 50Hz right off the bat? This is very important in being able to identifying the sound of anything.

...what can I listen to to help sensitize my ears to different mics....

That's pretty easy.
Lots of different mics. :)

You will not hear the sound of the mics by listening to recordings....there's just too many other variables. While the mics may add their signature to the source...when everything is mixed down, you can't tell how much of the sound is mic and how much is everything else.

There are some test CDs that can be found, where they audition a bunch of mics, like this one -
3D Audio's 3D Mic CD
osCommerce

...but it really nice when you can put up a few mics yourself, in your room, and record the same source...then listen and compare the results of each mic.

Very interesting question. Training your ear is the most important part of the learning process, then everything will be just a matter of taste. Wish I could have an answer for you, but im in a similar position. But listen to what moresound said, begin by training your ear to hear frequencies rather than mics.

I think the only way to learn what a mic sounds like is to own it and use it frequently because this is the only way you have control over the multiple variables.

Yes that's right Wally. Knowing your tools of the trade (or hobby) would be first in line.

Miro isn't there a CD package called golden ears that would help as well?

Thank you for the suggestions. Learning to identify frequencies seems to be the path; I'll look for the CDs.

I currently have a Rode NTK, a pair of Rode NT5s, an MXL R77, and a cheap Audio Technica and AKG dynamics. I'll record several things under the same conditions and start trying to identify the differences.

Thank you for the suggestions. Learning to identify frequencies seems to be the path; I'll look for the CDs.

I currently have a Rode NTK, a pair of Rode NT5s, an MXL R77, and a cheap Audio Technica and AKG dynamics. I'll record several things under the same conditions and start trying to identify the differences.

I m sure that if you look on line you will be able to fine test tones that you can play right from the site or down load for on the run training. ;)

Back