want to buy mic for acoustic guitar, vocal

mullin

hi,

i want to buy at least TWO mic to record acoustic guitar and vocal primary. but, may use to record electric guitar or flute or violin.

any suggestions?

1. should i buy mic separately, TWO for acoustic guitar and ONE for vocal?
2. i want to buy them all around US$300

thanks!

A pair of MXL603's for acoustic and an MXL V67G for vocals. That will get you under $300 and probably work well for your needs. Both will depend on what guitar you use and you voice but to start, this will give you something to learn on.

Blessings, Terry

would buying a pair of c4 for acoustic and b1 for vocal have a better result.

of course, the pricing would be $400 then.

will the result deserve for that?

mullin said:

For the SDs - yes, the C4s are a little nicer than the 603s.

For the LD - no, the CAD M179 is a nicer overall mic than the B1.

A pair of C4s and the M179 would be a very good set, but now you're pushing $500.

I use two MXL V67 for recording acoustic guitar. I can't complain. I've heard they're good for vocals too, but I'll never try that out 'cause I can't sing. Ask anybody!

IMHO the B1 is underated as a vocal mic, especially on this BBS.

I think of it as sort of like an AKG 414 B/ULS with a mellower top.
Very clean, and a little bright (not harsh).

Although different people who like the SP mics have their favorites
(mine is the T3), it's interesting to note that the favorite of one of the
demo singers on their listening CD is the B1.

And he owns/uses a number of "high end" vocal mics BTW...

Chris

I like the $80 MXL603s on my acoustic. It can also be a decent vox mic. I also like the MC012.
I like the $80 SM57 on some vox.
For an LD, the AT4040 is getting a lot of praise as a very versatile, very good sounding mic. I see them on ebay new for $250 often.

sdelsolray said:
For $300 or so, I'd second the 603s, but suggest the CAD M179 for the LD.

You're probably right, but the CAD is $200. That puts him over his $300 budget. I was trying to stay within that.

I see now he's talking about $400 and that makes things a little easier.

Blessings, Terry

mullin said:

IMO the B1 is overrated... especially on this BBS. I've never used the C4's before but have read they're nice on acoustic guitar... and I heard a Mayes/C4 Wave file that sounded good. I like the Marshall MXL603S on acoustic guitar, if you can't afford the C4's the 603S's would be a good choice. Also the Behringer B5 is similar to the C4 and cost a lot less... so you may want to check it out too. Some people like the Oktava MC-012 on acoustic guitar more... I perfer the 603S, so you may want checkout both the Marshall MXL603S Oktava MC-012 on your acoustic guitar. As for your vocal mic... I really recommend that you audition mics until you find the one YOU like best.

Another vote here for the 603's for Acoustic Guitar. As for the vocals, the SP B1 or Marshall V67 should do nicely for starters. Then before you know it you'll be hiding money from your wife to save up for a Soundelux U195.

Okay, I'll throw in my two cents (that's about what it's worth):

I've tried a pair of AKG C1000's (299.00), and they sounded good on both vocals and acoustic guitar (guitar miking was best on my acoustic when placed slightly off axis). It shocked the heck out of me that they're a good vocal mike, by the way.

Last edited:
Just got rid of the last of my akg's. I like the mk012 on acoustic. I like the AT 4033 on vocals. I like my groove tube 1b's on vocals and acoustic guitar and cabs and just about everything else I throw at it. I like-a do, da cha cha.

Sounds great, Big Kenny, but it kind of blows the 300.00 budget out of the water. The AT4033 alone is more than 300.00 new, but if you were only buying one mike for both vocals and acoustic, it may be the right mike if you could find it used for 300.00.

Back