Vocal recording mics...

RRSOUNDER

F.S. writes

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
any normal cardoid mic is going to be blown away by a decent large diaphram condensor mic when it comes to recording vocals.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking about large diaphragm mics, I was looking at an AKG B3000C (I think it is), for vocals. The reviews I have read look very promising. The price is promising too! What would be the most COST EFFECTIVE pre-amp with EQ and FX to plug directly into my sound card that you guys could reccommend? (Unless you guys think the Cakewalk software's EQ'S and FX'S would be more than adequate. I could go pre-amp only) It absoulutely could be only a 1 channel doo-hickie as well. The mic can be had for about 270 bucks and I would hate to buy a whole Mackie mixer just for the purpose of pre-amping, EQ'ing, and FX'ing. Any ideas from the community at large would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. ---ROB

AKG C3000B and Preamp/EQ

Most of the EQ and FX options in preamps come in the way of channel strips which will typically have Preamp, EQ, Compression, and De-essing in one box. Typically no reverb, phasing/flanging or other FX though. Price about $600-800 for a good one.

As for a more cost effective solution, the ART Tube MP Studio is a fairly good single channel pre for about $140 or so. All it has however is the preamp and a limiter to help prevent those nasty digital overs on your sound card.

If cost-effectiveness is your primary concern, I'd probably go with that and do the EQing and FX in Cakewalk on the PC. Hope that helps.

-Frank

P.S. Not to stray from your original question, but there are probably better mics than a C3000B availible for $270 or less. You might want to check out the Studio Projects C1, or some of the Marshall line before settling on the AKG. That's just my opinion though, as always it's whatever mic works for you.

the Marshall MXLv67 sounds as good or better than the C1 and can be had for less $$$$.....

Gidge said:
the Marshall MXLv67 sounds as good or better than the C1 and can be had for less $$$$.....

While you may or may not be right Gidge, the V67G does not include a pad or high-pass filter, nor does it come with a case and the shock mount. So less may be just that...less. :D

I bought a C1 without a pad but if I were to have it my way, I'd want the one with the pad.

I love the C1 but I wonder what it must be like with a pad on it. Is there anyway I can install one in my C1? I don't have any money to get another C1. I didn't even have enough for my first one, I had to borrow some.

I can see everyone's mad at you right now Alan but I'd just like to say I'm a happy customer and if it weren't for you, my acoustic guitar recordings wouldn't sound so good.

I would get a dedicated preamp and use pluggins for now for effects and eq.For an inexpensive preamp check out the M-Audio Audio Buddy for about $80.Two channel preamp/direct box with phantom power,very clean and quiet.I have an Art Tube MP and I think of it more as an effect(and not my favorite one).I think you are better off recording a clean signal and adding effects and eq after recording as you can always add effects but once they are recorded thats it,you cant clean it up.There are some pretty fine pluggins available and a lot of them are shareware or freeware.When your budget allows you could always add a quality dedicated hardware effects processor.

Most of the EQ and FX options in preamps come in the way of channel strips which will typically have Preamp, EQ, Compression, and De-essing in one box. Typically no reverb, phasing/flanging or other FX though. Price about $600-800 for a good one.

So what is the way to go regarding having the flexibility of recording various effects through a pre amp into my sound card?? For now, I once tried using the monitor/line out on my Mackie 808S power mixer to equalize and add FX directly into the sound card, but something tells me that I am fooling myself. I guess the signal is definately being amplified because the resultant recording came out very clear and true. But I did notice some dust on the noise floor. :( What I am trying to achieve is making a demo by D/L all mixed/panned tracks from my Kurzweil k26x Workstation.........and THEN..... lay down the cleanest possible vocal tracks THE RIGHT WAY, all for about 500 bucks. (For a great vocal mic and a way to get the dang thing into the sound card). Any further advice, guys (and gals)??? Any??? Thanks a bunchabiskits, ROB.

This is killing me to do this but Guitar Center is selling Joe Meek VC3Q's for $99......damn nice preamp with compression/eq......

the Joe Meek with the v67 is a wonderful thing.......

Typically no reverb, phasing/flanging or other FX though.

So Frankie, how does one add FX into the mix here? Using Cakewalk? Seperate FX module? The mic pre-amp aint gonna help me completely here. 'Splain please? :) THANKS --ROB

"So Frankie, how does one add FX into the mix here? Using Cakewalk? Seperate FX module? The mic pre-amp aint gonna help me completely here. 'Splain please? :) THANKS --ROB"

OK...I'll try to 'splain it. :)

When the capability to record multiple tracks is availible, it is often wise to record first with no effects to speak of except perhaps some light compression or light EQ. You can then add reverb, etc. during mixdown to stereo. In this way, you are never stuck with an effect you don't like, because you can always re-mix from the original sound later on with a new effect. Hence, one reason channel strips don't usually have DSP FX onboard.

If you were operating a traditional tape-based studio, a hardware FX box would be the most viable option. However, since you are recording into a PC, software is a great and cost-effective alternative. I'd agree with what Randy Yell said in his post: record to the PC with a (reasonably) clean signal, then add FX in software via plugins. I don't use Cakewalk much, so I can't help with the exact minor details of how plugins are used in that software, but that's probably the best way to go.

-Frank

Gidge said:
This is killing me to do this but Guitar Center is selling Joe Meek VC3Q's for $99......damn nice preamp with compression/eq......

the Joe Meek with the v67 is a wonderful thing.......

Gidge,

You are correct, GC is closing the VC3Q's out, so that's why the deal is good. To all those that may be buying them, make sure they have the power supply, and the correct one. It should be a 12VAC 1000ma supply. For $99.00, I think I will buy as many as I can and use them for TrackPaks.

Beggin' your pardon, sirrahs. The online store Musicians Friend lists the VC3Q at $199. Is the Guitar Center price of $99 an in-store only, or is there an online site I'm missing that offers that?

I guess what I'm asking is, do they finally recognize that any intelligent buyer deserves $100 off for having to deal with the sales weasels at GC?

Nah, really. Just want to know if and where the $99 price exists.

the last time I e-mailed Musicians Friend about matching a hot online price i got an obnoxious answer back....as far as i know, right now its an in store special only.......

Whyte Ice said:
I bought a C1 without a pad but if I were to have it my way, I'd want the one with the pad.

I love the C1 but I wonder what it must be like with a pad on it. Is there anyway I can install one in my C1? I don't have any money to get another C1. I didn't even have enough for my first one, I had to borrow some.

I can see everyone's mad at you right now Alan but I'd just like to say I'm a happy customer and if it weren't for you, my acoustic guitar recordings wouldn't sound so good.

I can't modify the older C1's. Again, I added the pad and filter based on feedback from customers on HR, and several other groups. As I said before, I never use the pad, but there was so many that asked me to add it, so I did.

I'm glad you like your C1

Gidge. thanks for the "VC3Q" tip. There's a pretty good chance I'm
getting one from Guitar Center for $99. The funny thing is that I gave
a young musician a "deal" on a VC3Q I had for about the same price!
They're pretty handy for just messing around since they're so small,
or using for live gigs.

The VC6Q's were blown out for $199-just missed getting one!
That was an incredible deal.

Back