Vocal Mic, no phantom power

Yubb

Hello friends,
I'm a new user here, but hopefully you all can help me anyway. =)

I've searched several threads trying to answer my question, but I couldn't specifically find the answer I wanted.

I'm looking for a new vocal mic, at least I think I am. I'm having some problems getting good vocal tracks, that is, I'm not hitting the right notes. I currently use an SM-58 and a pair of Sony MDR-V700 cans. I sometimes think I'm hitting the right notes, but when I listen through my computer speakers as opposed to the Sony's I can hear notes are off bad. Also, I can usually hear this through the cans too. I realize that me singing the wrong notes isn't the mic's fault, but I'm not satisified with my tone either.

I swear I'm a better singer than my recordings would lead me or anyone to believe.

I currently use a Mona breakout box by Echo. It doesn't do Phantom power, so how does that limit my mic selection? Does that eliminate condesor mic's entirely? I don't wanna spend a fortune on a mic, but I'm also not on a super strict budget.

I'll take any suggestions on mics you guys can give.

Thanks a lot and I'm sorry if this topic has been covered in another post.

Thanks,
Ben.

Yubb said:
Hello friends,
I'm a new user here, but hopefully you all can help me anyway. =)

I've searched several threads trying to answer my question, but I couldn't specifically find the answer I wanted.

I'm looking for a new vocal mic, at least I think I am. I'm having some problems getting good vocal tracks, that is, I'm not hitting the right notes. I currently use an SM-58 and a pair of Sony MDR-V700 cans. I sometimes think I'm hitting the right notes, but when I listen through my computer speakers as opposed to the Sony's I can hear notes are off bad. Also, I can usually hear this through the cans too. I realize that me singing the wrong notes isn't the mic's fault, but I'm not satisified with my tone either.

I swear I'm a better singer than my recordings would lead me or anyone to believe.

I currently use a Mona breakout box by Echo. It doesn't do Phantom power, so how does that limit my mic selection? Does that eliminate condesor mic's entirely? I don't wanna spend a fortune on a mic, but I'm also not on a super strict budget.

I'll take any suggestions on mics you guys can give.

Thanks a lot and I'm sorry if this topic has been covered in another post.

Thanks,
Ben.

Your problem has nothing to do with mics. If you are singing off-key, then you should listen to your vocal track( as you sing) in one ear only. MANY vocalists use this method. You will sing off key if the cans are on both ears. Try this method first.

Wow, I feel like a horse's ass for not checking the specs on my Mona first. I assumed that since there was no Phantom power button, that that meant I didn't have that capability. Is Phantom power something that could "auto-detect" my microphone?

And yeah, I know that my singing off-key isn't my mic's fault. I am currently using the one can on left ear, and my hand behind my right ear with no can to record tracks. I'm still having some issues.

I would like to upgrade my rig anyway. I figured a new mic and some nice cans would be nice.

Check to see if you can enable Phantom power via Software. I'm a M-Audio user, so someone who has the Mona could probably tell you what to do. I would be suspect if the Phantom power is on ALL the time (you don't want to plug a condenser mic into an input while the phantom power is engaged) and I don't think it is possible for a preamp to autodetect a condenser mic.
Keep in mind that condenser mics are EXTREMELY sensitive so not only will they pick up your singing, they will pick up the AC, noise on the street, the wife doing laundry, etc...
Good luck!

In regards to the problem with you signing off key. I had that problem when I first steped into a studio. My voice was great but I was singing off key. After about 5 minutes I realized that my voice was automaticly trying to follow the beats tone. Which in a lot of cases isnt gonna produce good sounding vocals. Instead you have to force your voice to sing in the tone you sing in when
your practicing. Also being able to listen to yourself when recording is improves your voice to turn down that headphone when recording.

So my suggestion is first listen to the beat and trun it off and sing a few lines in a tone which you think fits the beat and sounds good. Turn on the beat and follow your tone, if your having problems with emulating the same tone just turn the beat down so you can hear yourself. After you get it down go record and turn down the beat in your headphone when singing so you can hear yourself. I remember turning down the beat in my headphone when recording a second time brought my recorded sound to an almost professional level. Also when dobuling your lines try singing a different tone, this can make a great voice sound perfect. Above all dont rush and experiment a LOT to get the best sound.

The only board I ever saw with Phantom power had a button that you had to push to engage it. I don't know much about condesor mics at all, but I would suspect that they'd be sensitive to just plugging them into a live input.

I'll have to do some more research into my unit to see how that's handled.

The reason I want a mic is basically because my vocal tone sucks. I'm still developing as a singer, but it just doesn't sound as good to me as when I sing just for fun. Granted, it's not going through electronics and my fat head makes things sound different than when I'm recording, but I still think it should sound good. Right now I use an SM-58 for vocals. Is that good enough? I mean, should I be able to get good tone out of that mic? Should I even be shopping for a new mic?

Thanks for your help so far.

b3n.

Double Post YAY!

Ok, so I'm an even larger horse's ass. I found a button that says +48v, that's the Phantom Power button.

Now the only question is, do I need to improve my recording and singing techniques, or will a new mic help my tone.

Also, I have another thread about a set of cans. I feel like my current cans aren't helping the situation either. I have a pair of Sony MDR-V700's. They're for DJ use. I don't know if that matters or not.

I was looking at some Sennheiser's, but didn't know which kind to get for recording vocals and mixing tracks. Any help there?

Thanks,
b3n.

If you are really having trouble singing on-key the following is something you can do short of auto-tune.

Record a midi track with just the vocals. Practice recording the piece with the midi track in the phones a few times to train yourself. You could also record your final track with the midi playing in the headset, but that will tend to also make your phrasing very mechanical.

There is another phenomenon that you may be experiencing as a beginning singer. NO microphone is going to make you sound like you sound to yourself. The reason is that you are hearing yourself in large part through the bones and tissues of your head and not through the air, not to mention your room accoustics.

Then there is what I call 'red button syndrome'. Major portions of your central nervous system, for some unknown reason, seem to function less efficiently once a button with a red circle on it has been pushed. ;)

Apart from that what is your vocal range and budget and we can give you some ideas that would be an improvement over an SM57

My vocal range: It's hard to describe. I think I have a somewhat low voice, but I'm capable of singing higher than most bass singers. The guy from Crash Test Dummies is too low for me, but I can sing more of his stuff than I can most of today's pop stuff like Hoobastank. That guy can go too high for me and spends most of his time in a part of the register that I strain to hit. It seems like most singers sing higher than I like to.

I'd say Baritone, but I can sing Tenor too. I feel like the aforementioned singers that sing too high are almost singing alto.

Anywho, price range. I'm not on a strict budget per se, but I'm not ready to buy a Neuman either. If I could get a mic for $300 that'd be great. If cables, mount, etc. would put the total over $300, then so be it.

As far as your suggestion goes, I'm not really good with MIDI. I don't have a keyboard or anything. I don't know much about it.

Either way, I'd like to get a condensor. =)

Another Edit: I just thought of something. People keep saying about how sensitive condensors are. They say you really need a decently quiet area to record. That is, no lawn mowing, washing machines, etc. Well, since I'm recording on my computer, is that going to be a problem? I have three computers in my room, two of which I hope to move out, for other reasons. But will a running computer or three create too much noise for this mic to work well?

Last edited:
Your mic will pick up your PC's power supply fan (as well as HDD noises). Your best bet is to get the PC out of the room (get long cables) or stick it in a closet. Whether you can live with the noise it up to you. I had my PC in my last space for about a year before I moved it into the next room and fed cables through the wall. It was like night and day. I now have my PC in a closet next to my desk so I can barely hear the fan, but it's much better than if I left it in the room.

Yubb said:
<snip>
Another Edit: I just thought of something. People keep saying about how sensitive condensors are. They say you really need a decently quiet area to record. That is, no lawn mowing, washing machines, etc. Well, since I'm recording on my computer, is that going to be a problem? I have three computers in my room, two of which I hope to move out, for other reasons. But will a running computer or three create too much noise for this mic to work well?

The marshall MXL v67 is a good entry/professional level condenser mic. I bought one a couple months ago and have been happy with it. It can be had for around $100 bucks, but don't forget the other add ons like shock-mount, stand, cables, etc...

I have a computer in the same room as where I record, and I've never had a problem with it. My computer is probably 8 feet away from where I record.

Yubb said:
Now the only question is, do I need to improve my recording and singing techniques, or will a new mic help my tone.

both. i suspect a really good singer, will still sound better through a cheapish mic then a shitty singer through a good mic, but not as good as he'd sound with a great mic.

I hope to make my way out to guitar center this weekend to try out some condensors. The MXL v67 sounds good, but I can even spend more money if it'd be worth it. I mean, is it good to just get my feet wet with these types of mics? Or could I spend more money for a better quality mic and be more satisfied with the results?

Also, I'll be looking into some cans as well. There are about eight different models of Sennheisers that I think would work. But they all seem to have little nuances that may or may not work for my recording. Which kinds of Senn's are best for home recording. Again, I'm not on a super strict budget.

Thanks again.

Yubb said:
Or could I spend more money for a better quality mic and be more satisfied with the results?
Yes, and even more so if you have high-end preamp and A/D converters to use with the better mic. Oh, and don't forget that the room you record in will play a big role in how it sounds too.

DJL is correct, the variables in your set up are many. You won't go wrong if you add a decent mic though. Check e-bay for a baby bottle, audio technica 3035, rode nt1000, or possibly one of the CADs. Then start saving up for a pre amp.
In His Name
Big Kenny

Back