Vocal Mic for Male Vocals

skyjamstudio

Hey guys I'm wondering what your thoughts, experience and opinions are on the best studio recording mics?
Does anyone know what Zakk Wylde Uses in studio regards to vocal mics?

This is going to sound like I'm screwing with you but I'm not. The best mic is the one that produces the sound you desire..............period. It could be a Neumann, it could be a Shure, it could be a Nady (probably not) It's like asking who makes the best guitar.

Neumann ones sounds pretty sweet, especially the U67 and U87 ( If I am not wrong ). It may not be suited for every purpose, but it certainly sounds good.

Neumann ones sounds pretty sweet, especially the U67 and U87 ( If I am not wrong ).

Are you guessing? ;)

OP, for very strong singers/shouters/screamers, a lot of people like dynamic mics.

A 58 is a good budget job and an sm7b/re20/md421 is a good step up.
Some people don't like dynamics at all. Tom was 100% right.

Are you guessing? ;)

OP, for very strong singers/shouters/screamers, a lot of people like dynamic mics.

A 58 is a good budget job and an sm7b/re20/md421 is a good step up.
Some people don't like dynamics at all. Tom was 100% right.

I'm not guessing, I've tried them out before. Like tomm said, there are many microphones that MIGHT be the "best" for OP. I'm just saying Neumann might just be a better choice if he has the cash.

I've been very surprised every time from project to project selecting the proper vocal microphone.

What I look for is the match between vocalist and microphone that requires the least amount of tweaking during tracking. Then mixing and mastering is a breeze.

As Wylde is not renown for his vocals, I would be surprised to find out he had a preference for one paticular mic. I could see where he had a specific mic or mics on his cabinets. At that level, there is so much contributing to the final result, you wouldn't be able to reproduce it with just the same mic.

I've used plenty of mics on male vocals, U87, Kiwi, 414, KSM, Peluso U47 clones, Rode Classic II, RE-20, Beyer M-88, MD421. All were useful with the right voice in the right situation. I can say however that I've never put an SM-7 in front of a male vocalist and have it not sound good to me. May not always be the perfect mic, but it always seems to work and work well.

This thread is a classic topic.

Being "The Home Recording Forum", most of us are at home trying to create music AND trying to record and mix said music... A daunting task. Maybe it's just me but when I here the Neuman name I think I'm in the wrong place. Yet on another forum a majority in the "low end" forum said don't waste your money on "cheap" condensor mics. Nicely put here about matching a mic to a voice though. It's very tough for us home players to get a mic to match our
needs. I just set up a time at Sam Ash to allow me to compare mics in their treated room. I think that's a cool way to find out. Or you buy and return multiple times creating a nice "slightly used" market for that retailer. :p

For my thin voice, the SM58 (my only mic) loses detail. I'm hoping a "cheap" condenser will work.

Lots of choices. Lots of differing prices. The key is to find what works within your budget. This will include an assessment on your desire of longevity in the recording business. If you are serious and honestly think you're going to be doing this for a while AND you have a multiple number of vocalists coming through and "singin thru the can" then you should buy the very best mic you can afford. Then you also have to choose according to style of music and theres also the versatility factor included. A high-end mic will be able to do multiple sources and this should also enter in to your thinking when considering a purchase. Since you have already had a go with budget quality and have been left wanting, I also would consider a Neumann as the centerpiece transducer in your room. If you have the surrounding gear to make such a purchase count in capturing sources, then its the logical move. But, in the end, only you can determine what is going to be best for your needs. Theres a lot of mics in the high-end range too. The good thing about them is the smaller amount of differences between brands at that price point. Once you get over the 2K mark, ALL the mics have very great qualities and it becomes a matter of taste for your ear.

As for what Zakk uses, he can pretty much use any mic he wants and he may own quite a few classics in his studio. Or maybe not, but he certainly works in rooms with great big mic lockers. Something some of us have experienced but most, not.

Back