using a sock as a mic cover

Late to the party here, but I've always liked the little Crown Royal velvet pouches for covers. Looks nice, and feeds the stereotype that most musicians are in need of a 12-step program. ;)

there is a bit of an engineering joke/lore that I've read that you can sonically turn a SM57 into a U47 by putting a sock over it when you record. :D (it does little good for the mic when you're not recording).
ymmv of course :)

And you can turn any of the more modern condensers into an SM57 by adding about eight socks. :D

The sound may not knock your socks off, but you can bet your you-know-what the engineer will.... :)

4f_1_b.JPG

These muslin bags are way cheaper than socks and they work PERFECTLY. They have little drawstrings which work good too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290298627467

I'd use these over plastic bags as they will not hold moisture.

-josh

I've used a sock before. Although mainly as a poor mans pop filter. And because this residence hosts a chain smoker. I'd rather have something that breathes, and is somewhat sealed / filtered to minimize the nicotine build up. I have a friend who made a crown royal quilt, perhaps I should inquire about some spares.

I've used a sock before. Although mainly as a poor mans pop filter. And because this residence hosts a chain smoker. I'd rather have something that breathes, and is somewhat sealed / filtered to minimize the nicotine build up. I have a friend who made a crown royal quilt, perhaps I should inquire about some spares.

Plastic covers won't let any particulates in at all. That's why I use them.

I use camera lens bags and in each bag I've placed one of those little pillow-shaped white bags that soak up humidity, the ones that are in the packaging when you buy certain equipment.

Back