using a sock as a mic cover

tojo

Hey guys, quick question. I leave my mics out on their stands quite often, esepcially my at 2020 a ldc. do you think it is a good or bad idea to throw a clean sock over it (and any other mics i use and leave out) to keep dust off of it... I can't see why not... but just looking for opinions.

thanks.

Hey guys, quick question. I leave my mics out on their stands quite often, esepcially my at 2020 a ldc. do you think it is a good or bad idea to throw a clean sock over it (and any other mics i use and leave out) to keep dust off of it... I can't see why not... but just looking for opinions.

thanks.

plastic baggie would be better

there is a bit of an engineering joke/lore that I've read that you can sonically turn a SM57 into a U47 by putting a sock over it when you record. :D (it does little good for the mic when you're not recording).
ymmv of course :)

If you record that way, it'll sound like there was a sock over your mic :D

I keep mine in little bags - either makeup bags that I get from my wife or daughter, or these shoe polish related flannel bags that some hotels give you -- I think the lint could be an issue with some of them - wouldn't want that to collect inside the grill, for instance.

believe it or not... i use a beer huggie cover my overhead
ribbon mic (when not in use of course)

You could wrap it in duct tape and apply a thin layer of epoxy. :eek:

Seriously though, I've used a plastic baggie and also these things for wearing over the hair (originally got it to protect the ribbon of a naked/modded ribbon mic but have also used it on mics with the inner screen removed from the grill)"

Attachments

• ribbondressedws4.jpg
    ribbondressedws4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 661
  • ribbonnakedok8.jpg
    ribbonnakedok8.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 647
just wondering

wouldn't plastic trap moisture? It seems like since it is a "dust cover" you would want something that would catch the dust but allow some air circulation to dry out any moisture that may be there from singing into it. Just a thought.

wouldn't plastic trap moisture? It seems like since it is a "dust cover" you would want something that would catch the dust but allow some air circulation to dry out any moisture that may be there from singing into it. Just a thought.

I think enough air can get in as long as you don't seal the bag up. Whether on stands or in the mic drawers, all of my mics are kept inside unsealed plastic baggies when not in use. My main concern is dust/debris.

Yep I use plastic bags too. Actually they're the bubblewrap bags the mics come in :)

By the way, that analog warmth joke was awesome!

You could wrap it in duct tape and apply a thin layer of epoxy. :eek:

Seriously though, I've used a plastic baggie and also these things for wearing over the hair (originally got it to protect the ribbon of a naked/modded ribbon mic but have also used it on mics with the inner screen removed from the grill)"

I checked out your pics. Looks like your mic is ready to knock over a liquor store!

Back