Using multiple mics at once on vocals...

Myriad_Rocker

I have an SM58 and an MXL V67G.....what might happen if I put them right next to each other behind the pop filter and run them through a mixer and then to my preamp and then into my sound card? Would I have major phasing problems?

I'm looking for ways to fatten up the vocals on my recordings and make the vocal more IN YOUR FACE sounding...

The closer the two diaphrams are to each other, the less chance of a phase issue occuring. I would, however, check the tracks against each other in an audio editor if you can so you can see if there's a problem and of course as in all things, use your ears.

I'd put them right beside each other actually....as close as I could get them.

And what do you mean check it in an audio editor?

phasing occurs because the sound takes longer to get to one mic than another. if you put the two microphones right next to eachother you won't get any phasing problems.

Myriad_Rocker said:
I have an SM58 and an MXL V67G.....what might happen if I put them right next to each other behind the pop filter and run them through a mixer and then to my preamp and then into my sound card? Would I have major phasing problems?

I'm looking for ways to fatten up the vocals on my recordings and make the vocal more IN YOUR FACE sounding...

I tried that once, it works OK. You might find what you're really looking for is a better dynamic, like an SM7 or a Beyer M88. The two mic approach can be kind of cool, since you can play with the stereo separation of the two mics, which also helps with potential phase problems.

Okay...

But my real question is, will it fatten up the vocal? Will it make it sound more IN YOUR FACE?

I know I could use better gear but I have to work with what I've got.

Here's the signal chain currently....

MXL V67G --> good cable --> PreSonus TubePre --> Line In --> Plug-In Compression, etc on DAW

Myriad_Rocker said:
Okay...

But my real question is, will it fatten up the vocal? Will it make it sound more IN YOUR FACE?

Here's the trick: the 58 only sounds fat close-up, with the proximity effect. So you have to have the other mic close too, if that sound works for you, then I'd say yes.

Myriad_Rocker said:

Not really. It might sound kind of interesting. Or not.

If you're looking for a more in-your-face kinda' sound, I don't see where using two mics is going to get you there.

Getting up closer on the mic can help. Tracking in a very dry room can help. Generous use of compression can help a lot -- in fact, I'd hazzard a guess that's probably what you're missing.

my way!

I do that setup very often. I'll put a sm57 and a condenser mic up behind the windscreen, making sure the capsules are even distance from the vocalist. After initial testing for tones, I'll throw an anolog compressor on one of the mics and squash the heck out if it (6-12 db GR at 3:1). Then combine the tracks and lightly compress the result. Sometimes i use half and half but quite often use the compressed 57 as an EQ/proximity boost.

It's probably high time you sat down and experimented. Get to know compression. Let it be your friend. Have beer and pretzels with it. Take it to bed with you.

Myriad_Rocker said:

The closer the mics are to each other, the higher the frequency at which phase problems are likely to occur. I'd go with one mic and some compression if you want an "in your face" vocal, and shorten and reduce any reverb you have going.

Big Kenny said:
or..............copy to another track and pan hard left and right

Wouldn't that just increase the over-all volume of the vocals as opposed to making them fat?

I'm looking for a mainstream modern rock type of sounding vocal...ie Nickelback, Fuel, etc.

I did a quick read over and then just copied and pasted all he said into Word. Very good stuff. I can't wait to try all the stuff out.

Back