Using an external recorder with a Zoom H1

AMSD

I have a sony a6000 which does not have mic input and therefore requires an external microphone. I am therefore thinking of getting a Zoom H1 as the external recorder and then using a lapel mic.

My question is how much of a difference does it make using a lapel mic with the Zoom H1 as opposed to using a phone for example. Obviously the audio is recorded through the lapel mic in both instances so what effect do the Zoom H1 and the phone have on the recording?

I am very very new to audio stuff so excuse my ignorance.

Thank you in advance for any responses,

The benefit of an external recorder over a phone is that the recorder will most likely have more options for recording format (sample rate, bit depth, file type), and it uses SD cards to store the recorded media so you don't have to displace your personal photos, music, videos, etc to make room for hi-res audio files.

I haven't used the discontinued H1 or the current H1n model, so I can't say whether it will be any better quality of a preamp compared to a modern cell phone. I've used the H4n Pro extensively and I was always happy with the audio quality at 48 kHz 24-bit WAV.

The H1 will have better electronics for connecting the mic, being designed specifically for high quality recording. It will have easily accessable options for recording in uncompressed formats. The mic/line input is stereo.

I have a sony a6000 which does not have mic input and therefore requires an external microphone. I am therefore thinking of getting a Zoom H1 as the external recorder and then using a lapel mic.

My question is how much of a difference does it make using a lapel mic with the Zoom H1 as opposed to using a phone for example. Obviously the audio is recorded through the lapel mic in both instances so what effect do the Zoom H1 and the phone have on the recording?

I am very very new to audio stuff so excuse my ignorance.

Thank you in advance for any responses,
The main differences would be in the microphone preamp and audio [file] quality of the recorded sound, plus the Zoom is, by default, not going to do any additional processing to the audio signal, which the phone will likely do, and which may be difficult to suppress. (Honestly, the last is a guess - never used an external mic [with my phones] save the thing dangling on my earbuds' cable.)

If you expect to do this a lot, I would consider getting a Zoom F1 (*field* recorder) and not the H1. It is more designed for your purpose, and is often sold as a package with a lavalier mic.

Full disclosure - I'm a fan of Zoom products, having had the H2, H6, and now have an F8 and F8n.

Back