Urgent: Which mic? se 2200a, AKG c3000 b or studio projects C1?

aza484

Hi folks - first post here, so many thanks in advance for your helping a previous lurker non-poster!

If the thread title didn't give it away, I'm looking to purchase a "budget" condenser mic for my home studio, planned use is mostly male vocals and acoustic guitar, with some strings too (eg. cello).

I've narrowed it down to these 3 mics, but not sure which to go for. I have some good prices being held for me if I act in the next couple days too, which is why I've come to you guys for help!

I'm after bang-for-buck, but as long as the mic is in the <£200 category (~$220) its all good.

From your experiences, which would you recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Not C3000B- try C2000B. It's a cheaper, better, mic which is also better suited to your stated uses.-Richie

You consider the C2000 better than the C3000B? I know the C3000B gets bashed a lot on some other forums (mentioning no names) but I've also seen it very well reviewed.

For the record, I can get the 3000B at the same price as the 2000, so that's not really an issue.

What about the other 2 mics I shortlisted? Generally and vs. the C2000?

Of the mics on your list (and even lots not on your list) the SE2200A wins hands down. For the money it's a great mic--I bought my first a couple of years back and found myself using it in preference to some others (more expensive) that I have so bought a second one a few months ago. It really punches well above it's weight.

I've never been a fan of the C3000 and, though I quite like the SP C1, the SE2200A beats it hands down.

I have no experience with the SE mic, so I won't comment on that. I've never used SP C-1, although I had the C-3 for a while and wasn't particularly impressed by it. I found the C-3 hyped in the upper mids- in short, a standard Chinese mic. Yeah, AKG C3000B and C2000B are two different animals. C3000B is a large diaphragm, multipattern condenser. It's not that it's a bad mic, really. It just isn't any better than a CAD M179, which costs a hell of a lot less. I think it's a mediocre mic for what it costs. The C2000B is a small diaphragm mic in a large diaphragm type housing, and uses a larger retainer ring, so it functions a lot like a mid-sized diaphragm mic, such as AT4033 or Shure KSM32. The 2000 has a fair amount of color, so it can be flattering on the right voices and the right guitars. It is one of the very few mics that I can use on acoustics *and* cabs with good effect. Excellent as a drum overhead or general percussion mic, it also makes a good stereo pair for remote recording. Made in Austria, the frequency curve is ruler flat with a gradual bump up to 4db at 10Khz . Check this:

http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/61/C2000B4055c229ec0b0.pdf

Used extensively in Europe for instrument recording and backing vocals, it is a wicked versatile cheap workhorse. For your stated purposes, it's as good a vocal mic as a 3000, if not better, on most voices, and it's a lot better to my ear on instruments, across the board. Good luck-Richie

Gotta' love the *URGENT* mic/audio gear threads! :D

I always wonder if someone's life is on the line...and why the last minute decisions about what to buy? ;)

Back