Upright Piano Mic Choice

Arkforest

This is for research.

I have an upright piano that I would like to mic with a couple of pencil mics pointing down into where the strings are with the top lid open. Would a Rode M5 pair be sufficient or are there other pairs of mics that do a better job for a similar price?

Recording grand piano is tricky, but uprights far worse. The folded design of the hammers means they get in the way of the nicest positions, and make a hell of a noise. Miking, is therefore a compromise, and 'rules' impossible to set as every design responds differently. Some record OK via an open lid, others sound terrible. You will need to try it for every upright recording on a different piano - be prepared to experiment and consider even removing top and bottom front panels to find the elusive spot where sound is great and action is minimised. Some record well from the rear - the typical school Yamaha often records better pulled out into the space with the top open an recorded from sound board side. Weird things!

I wish I had a piano to record, I could give you a bit of a test. I've got the M5s, along with CAD 1200xls, AKG P170 and Lauten LA120s. They all sound different, although the CAD and AKG mics sound somewhat similar in response. The M5s are a bit leaner sounding, and the Lautens are a bit fuller on the bottom based on my testing with acoustic guitar.

I posted some samples with the AKG P170, M5, LA120, SM57 and Rode NT1 LDC in this thread. You might give it a listen. The SM57, AKG and M5 mics are the same price ($100), the Lautens are about double that, and the NT1 is about $260. I recorded a short track with all 5 mics, and in the track, I flipped through the group twice.

Holiday Mic sales

I think the Rodes would do a good job, the won't be quite as full on the bottom end, but you could always give a bit of boost in the low end if you need it. I think in a mix with acoustic guitar, it sits in the mix a bit easier. If you're just doing the acoustic guitar by itself, the Lauten fills out the sound a bit better.

Back