Thread: Tube Mic with Phantom Power?

Thanks

Tube Mic with Phantom Power?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have the Focusrite Studio Bundle. The audio interface is the Scarlett 2i2 and I use the Condenser Mic that comes with. I just bought a Tube Mic (Avantone CV-12) to make mid-sided recordings with the condenser mic that I already have, but I forgot for a while that the tube Mic has its own power supply and when the +48 is turned on, it’s turned on for both mics. Can I use phantom with a tube Mic or it will damage it?

Thanks
    I've got a stereo mic with it's own power supply and there is capacitor blocking on the output, so it ignores any incoming DC phantom power. In your case, you'd need to check inside the power supply and look for how the electronics are arranged. Me being me, I'd just try it and see. Never caused any damage doing this. It's quite common on split PA/monitors when somebody actually applies power from both ends. The only thing I've ever noticed was a Soundcraft where all the LEDs went to full - sound was fine, but the mixer really didn't like the phantom coming back up the cable.

Thanks
    You could always write to Avantone tech support. I'm guessing that the power supply will take care of isolating itself, but it can't hurt to ask.

It would be pretty irresponsible to design a system that was easily damaged by something as common as using 48v phantom, especially since many interfaces gang the power to banks.

Thanks
    A bit off-topic, but how do you like the Avantone? I've never known anyone who owned one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JefferySmith View Post
    A bit off-topic, but how do you like the Avantone? I've never known anyone who owned one.
    Well, I do like the quality of Avantone Mics. They are affordable and offer you quality. “Speak now” and “Fearless” of Taylor Swift were recorded with a CV-12, then it may be a good quality mic. 😉

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    You could always write to Avantone tech support. I'm guessing that the power supply will take care of isolating itself, but it can't hurt to ask.

It would be pretty irresponsible to design a system that was easily damaged by something as common as using 48v phantom, especially since many interfaces gang the power to banks.
    With the notable exception of the MXL V69, most tube mics are transformer output. The transformer will block the DC voltage.

Thread Information