Tube Mic with Phantom Power?

Pedro Viana

I have the Focusrite Studio Bundle. The audio interface is the Scarlett 2i2 and I use the Condenser Mic that comes with. I just bought a Tube Mic (Avantone CV-12) to make mid-sided recordings with the condenser mic that I already have, but I forgot for a while that the tube Mic has its own power supply and when the +48 is turned on, it’s turned on for both mics. Can I use phantom with a tube Mic or it will damage it?

I've got a stereo mic with it's own power supply and there is capacitor blocking on the output, so it ignores any incoming DC phantom power. In your case, you'd need to check inside the power supply and look for how the electronics are arranged. Me being me, I'd just try it and see. Never caused any damage doing this. It's quite common on split PA/monitors when somebody actually applies power from both ends. The only thing I've ever noticed was a Soundcraft where all the LEDs went to full - sound was fine, but the mixer really didn't like the phantom coming back up the cable.

You could always write to Avantone tech support. I'm guessing that the power supply will take care of isolating itself, but it can't hurt to ask.

It would be pretty irresponsible to design a system that was easily damaged by something as common as using 48v phantom, especially since many interfaces gang the power to banks.

A bit off-topic, but how do you like the Avantone? I've never known anyone who owned one.

Well, I do like the quality of Avantone Mics. They are affordable and offer you quality. “Speak now” and “Fearless” of Taylor Swift were recorded with a CV-12, then it may be a good quality mic. ?

You could always write to Avantone tech support. I'm guessing that the power supply will take care of isolating itself, but it can't hurt to ask.

It would be pretty irresponsible to design a system that was easily damaged by something as common as using 48v phantom, especially since many interfaces gang the power to banks.

With the notable exception of the MXL V69, most tube mics are transformer output. The transformer will block the DC voltage.

Hi all, I have exactly the same situation. Scared to turn on V48 on the Scarlett with my CV-12 power supply plugged into it. I did speak with Focusrite and they said you can do it but that the 48V on the Scarlett should already be on before you connect the CV-12 power supply (via XLR) to it. EECH! Even scared to try that, but looking for the answer for the same reason Pedro has - I want to use two condensers at the same time through the Scarlett. Any insights? Pedro, did it work out for you?

UPDATE - I just got off the phone with tech support at Focusrite, very helpful. They said there is no concern. The phantom power from the Scarlett won't make it back to the mic and the mic will only take the power from the Avantone power supply. So put another way. You can plug your Avantone CV-12 power supply into the Scarlett and use the V48 on the Scarlett so you can power a condenser in the other channel. He put me on hold to double check the documentation to be sure as well.

Last edited:
Back in my day, you learned by taking chances - you tried first, and of course sometimes you made mistakes. Nowadays in schools everyone is taught to worry.

This all said, phantom power isn't new, so all the things that could happen with it have probably already been done. Any engineer who designs an audio product that can be destroyed by accidental application of phantom, doesn't deserve to be designing pro audio gear.

^^ What Rob said.

I recall in my live mixing days hooking up someone's tube mike to the mixer with phantom on without giving it a second thought. No problem atall.

Thanks! Rob and Gecko. It's good to know! It's my first tube mic - paid a pretty penny for it. Tech support had no definitive answer for me, until, after a couple of calls, I got someone who really checked it out confirmed it's cool. Add to that you all's confirmation here and all is good. And I completely love having a great mic finally. So much so I've got another one on order. I liked very much the reviews on the Lewitt LCT 140 Air and have one coming. I'm doing voice and acoustic git and have been using an old Sterling small condenser - very very low end loaded. And I have a Yeti Pro, but it's kind of thin, even though it has a great range - no warmth.

Back