trying some of the cheaper ones..

Bryaxis

hey guys...has anyone used any of the cheaper l.d. condensers...such as the cad's, mxl's, behringer's, studio project's etc? i have to get some stuff anyway..and i thought i might pick up one. so in everyone's opinion...which mic, under 100 bucks should i give a try. general purposes...vocals, acoustic guitar..etc. what do y'all think?
bryan

noisedude said:
haha, there's gotta be a way of making people go to that FAQ!!!

I don't know if there is. Ya know, the Tapeop board has about the easiest, most comprehensive, informative set of Stickies, reviews, and FAQs anywhere on the web.

And ya know what? It still doesn't prevent the daily deluge of "best mic under $30?" shoppers.

look guys..i'm not stupid..i've read the "faq" i'm not a newbie at this. all i did was ask everyone's opinions. next time i'll work it out on my own.

Chill out, dude. People are so damn prickly around here.

The thing is that people get bored of giving their opinion two or three times a day to the same questions. I don't own any of the mics in question but I can tell you that the SP B1 is a relatively colourless mics, good all-rounder but master of none. The Behringers are a big no-no and the MXLs are a cool green/gold colour combo.

still4given said:
Studio Projects B1, Oktava MK319, MXL V67G.

Each will work well for the right source.

Blessings, Terry

very good choices.......

Bry, feel free to ask in the future.......theres always alot out there willing to help.......

Bryaxis said:
hey guys...has anyone used any of the cheaper l.d. condensers...such as the cad's, mxl's, behringer's, studio project's etc? i have to get some stuff anyway..and i thought i might pick up one. so in everyone's opinion...which mic, under 100 bucks should i give a try. general purposes...vocals, acoustic guitar..etc. what do y'all think?
bryan
If you only have a 100 bucks... why don't you checkout some SDC mics instead... like the Oktava MC-012 or Marshall MXL603S?

Bryaxis said:
look guys..i'm not stupid..i've read the "faq" i'm not a newbie at this. all i did was ask everyone's opinions. next time i'll work it out on my own.

Sorry Bry, I didn't mean to be a jerk. It's nothing personal, I've just see this question way too much here. In fact, I've seen your question (or something eerily like it) on the board at least twice a week, and often the question goes unanswered! This is precisely why I compiled the FAQ. It's is a big help for someone looking for an answer to their 'ld under a c-bill' question.

Look what you find when you search for large condensers under $100:

http://www.hr-faq.org/advres.php?ld=1&lowprice=0&highprice=100

Click on each one, and look at all the opinions! This is can be a big help, sorting out mics that people generally like from the mics people can't stand.

Anyway, let's start over. Here's the answer I would have given if I didn't immediately cast off your question:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there!

What do you mean by general purposes? What is 'etc,' in your mind?

You mention vocals and acoustic guitar. Do you have a pressing need to mic both at once?

What kind of style of music are you interested in playing?

Why do you feel now that you need a condenser? Is there a pressing need, or do you just want to see what condensers are all about?

Sorry again for casting you off with a silly link.

-Graham

And regarding your first question:

I own the V67. It's got a real nice, warm sound that I have come to appreciate on trumpet and some voice. However, it can be muddy on some mixes. For a first time buyer, I'd probably recommend it.

Many would tell you that every mic in this range sounds similar, and that one cheap LD condenser sounds like another. There's something to that, and I wouldn't worry too much about a particular model's sound if you're just looking to play around. The MXL V67 and the SPB1, for example, are popular choices, but not too different from each other in sound.

Also: a company with a reliable, sturdy product is worth pursuing, and a company as riddled with QC problems as Oktava may be worth avoiding if you can't audition your mic in person.

- Graham

Back