Trying to figure out what's wrong with my microphone

Jimbo_

Hi there!
I recently bought a zingyou zy-007 from amazon, because it got recommended to me alot.
My intentions for this microphone are simple streaming, recording and being in voice calls with friends.
Nothing to fancy.

Now as I tried the mic out I noticed that my volume is pretty pretty low.
Trying to increase the volume by any software or window setting obviously increases the volume of my voice but also of extremly unpleasant hissing and whistling sounds.

I looked online for a while and it may be that the mic does not get enough power or something?
Since I've got no clue I would love to get a recommendation by someone who has more knowledge about these topics, thus why I asked in this forum.

Hope someone can help me!

Also added some audio recordings I made with different volume gains/boost - Windows Audio settings:
(Warning can get loud)

Attachments

• 0 dzb.mp3
    161.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 10 dzb.mp3
    140.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20 dzb.mp3
    122 KB · Views: 14
  • 30 dzb.mp3
    132.5 KB · Views: 16
For what I'm used to with my system (interface > PC), your 20 dzb.mp3 sample volume is about right - but your setup does have a lot of noise.

Check this out.. scroll to the Customer Question/Answers at the bottom and you should see a fair explanation of what's going on with your connection(s).

Amazon.com: ZINGYOU Condenser Microphone Bundle, ZY-007 Professional Cardioid Studio Condenser Mic Include Adjustable Suspension Scissor Arm Stand, Shock Mount and Pop Filter, Studio Recording & Broadcasting: Musical Instruments

Ah I see, some explain that it does not have enough power but also some that the XLR connection isn't optimal.
Would something like "Neewer 1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply with Adapter, BONUS+XLR 3 Pin Microphone Cable for Any Condenser Microphone Music Recording Equipment (8 feet)" help?

Cannot post a link because I am new on the forum.

Or would a powered mixing board help more?

- How are you connecting the mic to the computer? XLR through a USB interface or similar or using an 1/8"(3.5mm) plug into a jack on the computer?
- Is the computer a desktop or a laptop?
- How close to the mic are you when speaking?

Rather than buying a phantom power supply, you may be better off buying a USB interface which will have phantom power for the mic and provide a better connection to the computer than going through an audio input on the PC which uses the computers soundcard.
Something like this if you think you'll only use one mic.....
Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater
or.............
Behringer U-Phoria UM2 USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater

Yeah.. you can use the ZY-007 package from Amazon, just don't use the cables that come with it (the XLR to IEC). That Neewer 48V Phantom Supply will work, but you'll need an XLR to USB to connect it to your computer Amazon.com: USB Microphone Cable 10Ft, HOSONGIN USB Male to XLR Female Mic Link Converter Cable Studio Audio Cable Connector Cords Adapter for Microphones or Recording: Musical Instruments

cable.jpg

But.. as [MENTION=190964]arcaxis[/MENTION] has pointed out, you'd be better off going with one of those interfaces (plus an XLR female to XLR male mic cable).
This will give you good volume and virtually zero noise.

Hi there, here are my answers:
-I am using the included XLR to 3.5mm Jack on my PC.
-It is a desktop PC.
-It is very close to my mouth, being more far away does not make it better.

Is an Usb interface actually better?

Without getting into specifications, a USB interface will greatly improve your situation. As mentioned, it will have a built-in 48V Phantom Power Supply to fully power (boost) your current mic levels without adding noise. It will probably also include some type of recording software - a bonus.

If you go this route, be sure to buy the XLR-male to XLR-female line cord to properly connect your mic.

I'll probably go this route ;)!
Dumb question but where is the output then if I use usb interface arcaxis recommended?
The XLR-male to XLR-female goes into the usb interace, right?
But what would go out?

I'll probably go this route ;)!
Dumb question but where is the output then if I use usb interface arcaxis recommended?
The XLR-male to XLR-female goes into the usb interace, right?
But what would go out?

There are output jacks on the backside of the interface which can connect to your powered monitors(speakers) or sent to the audio input of another device. As well there is a headphone jack.

Sadly, that particular microphone sold in huge numbers (often with 800 in the model) has very variable quality control. You can get really quiet ones and others that hiss like the devil. They will work on 48V phantom but also using the supplied XLR-3.5mm plug from 5vDC. They're not terrible quality, and excellent value for money - IF - you get a quiet one. The only real advice is to give it to somebody who has other condensers they can simply substitute and assess the noise. Without anything to judge it by, you're guessing. My guess is you just got a noisy one!

Sadly, that particular microphone sold in huge numbers (often with 800 in the model) has very variable quality control. You can get really quiet ones and others that hiss like the devil. They will work on 48V phantom but also using the supplied XLR-3.5mm plug from 5vDC. They're not terrible quality, and excellent value for money - IF - you get a quiet one. The only real advice is to give it to somebody who has other condensers they can simply substitute and assess the noise. Without anything to judge it by, you're guessing. My guess is you just got a noisy one!

I totally agree. I have had two of the BM-800 variants and have been lucky. Both the 3.5mm jack connection into an HP laptop and an XLR connection to my NI KA6 interface worked well. My son in France has one and his also works fine with a Behringer UMC 204HD interface...but! They vary tremendously, some are low output, some none at all and some are noisy. Bounce it back.

If you want a dead simple but decent quality 'talk' mic there is a Citronics LDC the son and I have which is very acceptable. Better as said to go for an interface (and that Beery above is fine) and we can recommend the Mackie EM-91c LDC but there are many more very good capacitor mics under £100.

Don't dismiss dynamics. The 204HD has quiet enough pre amps to make an SM57/58 practical but certainly you will find it easier to get a good level with a capacitor.

Dave.

Back