Travel Mic

R_Spaulding

I plan to do some extended traveling this year and I have a little portable studio coming along with me (macbook air, BFD2, a custom electric martin backpacker, etc) now I just need to find a mic that doesn't weigh much that would give me a somewhat decent sound for recording vocals. I'm already thinking outside the box here, I'm recording acoustic guitar with a radio shack lapel mic stuffed inside the sound hole with decent results (sample: www.tinyurl.com/7ppb5dm)

Any ideas?

You certainly can't go wrong with either a Shure SM 58 or 57 as your traveling companion to accomplish this task.

Oh you want a USB microphone.

Just be sure and get one that has a headphone jack built into the microphone it's self (VERY IMPORTANT) so as to be able to monitor what your recording and you'll be fine.

I actually went with the Samson Go Mic and I am blown away by this 8oz, 2" tall USB powered mic!

I did some testing with it recording my tiny martin backpacker acoustic guitar and then recording vocals. Before the Go Mic I tried out a small lapel condenser mic to record my backpacker and thought that it sounded pretty decent, until I did a back to back with the Go Mic:
Sample:

For the vocals test I took the vocal track out of one of my old songs and recorded new vocals with the go mic. Did a couple takes, added some reverb and compression in garage band... sounds surprisingly decent!
Sample:

I highly recommend the Go Mic mic for anyone who wants to record on the go!

Back