TLM 103 neuman

zebra

im really intersted to buy that mic, i got digi 001 protools.(will buy laptop and mbox soon)
still, is it worth to buy this mic for the price it is?
or should i get a better solution recording vocals for the money i will spend?

hope to get some feedback

You're best off trying it (and other vocal mics) directly.

As for me, it sounded very nice (using Avalon 737 as pre).

The Studio Projects T3 (around $500), however, trumped it soundly.
YMMV. Either one would have been fine for pro level studio vocals though.

BTW how well is your recording area acoustically treated?
This can be a bigger factor than "which mic?".

Chris

get the TLM103... Its a great all around mic. It can used, and sounds great on more than just vocals. We have 2 of these at school and they always rock in pretty much whatever situation you put them in. If you were only gonna have one mic, this would be a good one to have.

The TLM 103 is probably the lamest mic Neuman has ever put out. Its not a bad mic, but its really not a great mic. Its really boring and does not have any of the magic that is often associated with many Neuman mics (I use various Neumans all the time) I would buy a TLM103 if the most important reason for buying a mic is the Neuman logo, but aside from that thare are much better mics for less money.

For about the same money you could get an Audio-Technica tube 4060 which will blow the TLm103 out of the water. A shure KSM44 will be a much better mic, as will Microtech-Geffel UM70.

In our house, the TLM103 works great for my wife's voice (high alto) while a KSM44 works better for my voice (Mark Knopfler-ish).
The TLM103 also sounds nice for light, airy acoustic guitar while the KSM44 results in a more up front and present sound.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Terry

You REALLY have to try these out on your stuff. While we can all tell ya what great sounds we get with our stuff, YOUR MILEAGE WILL VARY!
P.S. (Get the Soundelux......but you didn't hear me say that)

The TLM 103 is a very good mic, and many have found multiple uses for it. It does have a HF boost, that can get in the way of certain things. Used, the 103 runs about $600 or so. You should get the shockmount for it, which adds to the cost.

As others have said, there are numerous mics in the $500 to $1,200 range, many of which you might like better than the 103, then again maybe not.

If you like the 103, serious consideration should be given to the Microtech Gefell M930, which on occasion is called the "TLM 103 killer". That it is.

Ronan said:
A shure KSM44 will be a much better mic, as will Microtech-Geffel UM70.

I disagree. I don't know the Gefell, but I have AB'ed the KSM44 and the TLM103 and for my tastes, the TLM103 is a warmer and more neutral sounding mic. Not that the KSM44 is bad, it's just got more of what I would call a brassy sound, the Neumann had a wonderful big, round low end. Same league though. Nobody's getting blown out the water in that comparison Ronan - be reasonable. If you can't great sounding recordings with the TLM103 you've got PROBLEMS.

K.

krs said:
I disagree. .... Nobody's getting blown out the water in that comparison Ronan - be reasonable. If you can't great sounding recordings with the TLM103 you've got PROBLEMS.

Its totally fine that people disagree with me. My comments are based on the fact that everytime I am put a TLM 103 on a sound source I have been underwhelmed and almost every time I have put up a 4060 I have been pretty blown away (I use all the big name mics on a regular basis). I did one record in Asia where I used the 4060 on almost every non amplified sound source (ecxept drum overheads) that was nominated for a Malasian Grammy for best engineering.This included recording everything from vox and guitars to chinese classical instruments and malaysian folk instruments.

My best friend that records orchestras for movies had the exact same reaction as me about the 103 and the 4060. I would be interested to hear from more folks on this board, but I have not met any engineers that are doing serious proffesional work that have found the TLM103 to be a great mic.

I never said I could not get great recordings out of a TLM103, but as a guy that has probably used over a hundred different kinds of mics, I have never found the 103 to be a great mic. Of course every sound source has a differnt relationship with different mics, but everytime I have done a mic shoot out . I would take the 103 over any mic I have ever used by Studio Projects or CAD or Rode. If the 103 works for some one that is all that matters.

The TLM103 is a good all purpose condensor, but there are many good alternatives if you don't want to drop quite that much cashola.

War

Ronan said:
Its totally fine that people disagree with me. My comments are based on the fact that everytime I am put a TLM 103 on a sound source I have been underwhelmed and almost every time I have put up a 4060 I have been pretty blown away (I use all the big name mics on a regular basis). I did one record in Asia where I used the 4060 on almost every non amplified sound source (ecxept drum overheads) that was nominated for a Malasian Grammy for best engineering.This included recording everything from vox and guitars to chinese classical instruments and malaysian folk instruments.

My best friend that records orchestras for movies had the exact same reaction as me about the 103 and the 4060. I would be interested to hear from more folks on this board, but I have not met any engineers that are doing serious proffesional work that have found the TLM103 to be a great mic.

I never said I could not get great recordings out of a TLM103, but as a guy that has probably used over a hundred different kinds of mics, I have never found the 103 to be a great mic. Of course every sound source has a differnt relationship with different mics, but everytime I have done a mic shoot out . I would take the 103 over any mic I have ever used by Studio Projects or CAD or Rode. If the 103 works for some one that is all that matters.

Ronan,

No one is disagreeing with you. We all respect your opinion. I can see how many would choose the AT 4060 over the Neumann TLM 103 for many uses. Many might choose differently. Depends on the source, pre, room, music style, personal preference, etc. Statements about mics are usually not facts. They are usually opinions. All opinions are valid.

Perhaps we can all agree that the TLM 103 has a characteristic sound, with a Neumann pedigree and good build. Who knows? In 50 years it may be one of the most sought after mics on the planet.

In that price range I would pull a Soundelux or the AT 4060 every time over the 103. I never say to myself, I need the sound that the 103 has....

I have the TLM-103 and love it on alot of things. The thing with this mic is that it really shines with the right pre-amp. I have found that it really only works best with high-end pre-amps. I love it through the Avalon, Great River and my APIs. It is like Ronan said with DMP3s and RNPs. Board pre-amps make it only sound less exciting. It is a strange mic, but with the high-end pre-amps it is a great mic for many sources.

sdelsolray said:
If you like the 103, serious consideration should be given to the Microtech Gefell M930, which on occasion is called the "TLM 103 killer". That it is.
I second that.

It seems I'm going to have to check out this 4060....everybody seems to love it.

Any dissenting voices? (DJL? :D)

krs said:
It seems I'm going to have to check out this 4060....everybody seems to love it.

Any dissenting voices? (DJL? :D)
Nope... I wouldn't call it the "TLM 103 killer"... but the AT4060 rocks. However, the AT4060 (like the TLM103) may not be the best mic for everyone... therefore, I recommand you audition the AT4060 before you buy one.

Last edited:
I guess my problem is a bit of the hyperbole in describing mics. For sure I'm the first raise my hand when soem says a C1 is the same as an 87. But for me to say the KSM44 "blows away" the TLM103 is kind of ridiculous. Kind of like saying pineapple blows away mango IMHO. These mics are in the same league and do very different things.

krs said:
I guess my problem is a bit of the hyperbole in describing mics. For sure I'm the first raise my hand when soem says a C1 is the same as an 87. But for me to say the KSM44 "blows away" the TLM103 is kind of ridiculous. Kind of like saying pineapple blows away mango IMHO. These mics are in the same league and do very different things.

I hear ya.

But pineapples DO blow mangos away! :D

Back