On a tight budget, need a good mic for vocals + acoustic guitar

LyonZ

Hello guys, this is my first post here. I own a Behringer 202HD audio interface and it provides a 48V phantom power. I have few cheap "karaoke" microphones but they don't sound very good. My singing style is comparable to Ed-sheeran, so no screaming or anything. I would like to get something cheap but good, and I was looking at XM-8500 for 30$ CAD(Only mic) and the NW-800 for 35$(Comes with stand, pop filters, etc). I am recording both vocals and acoustic guitar.

Thanks alot!

Last edited:
There are some great cheap microphones today. I don't know about $30 mics you mention.
Amazing deals with the pop filters and stands, those will come in handy no matter what you buy.

you know my son bought a SM48 he likes, its a little hotter than the SM58 and much cheaper.

Hes had it several years, used it a lot, and takes it to live events at times with no issues.
it was ~$50 for a Shure SM48.

I see GC has them at $46.75 for SM48...in white too. $50 with shipping.

Last edited:
No idea what those mics are, but you might want to get a GLS equal to the Shure SM58 or 57, these mics are surprisingly good for their cost. Here's the 58: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RKWTPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Find yourself a decent, used 58. They can be as cheap as $50, and they're a solid dynamic mic that can be used for pretty much anything.

I probably wouldn't trust a $20 condenser mic. Especially when it comes with $10 worth of supplemental gear.

Get that XM-8500. Better than an SM58, but less solid.

The Neewer is a bit hit and miss. The first ones were true LDC's from iSK, but the later ones were electrets. Very good housings for thos who want to build mics, but what's inside often lacks quality control. The first ones were so good I couldn't bring myself to gutting it. Later ones have been gutted tho...

Thanks alot for you answers guys, I tried both a dynamic and a condenser large diaphram mic and I prefered the sound of the condensers more. So I am willing to spend about 100$ now for a decent one. Ones that I put my eyes on are XML 770, XML 990, XML v67g . What do you think of these or should I go with a different brand like AKG?
Thanks again

I get that you're on a budget.

It is a near certainty that you would be happy that you spent just a little more and bought a new Audio Technica AT2035 for $149.00. It is an excellent mic for the $$. You may be able to find a used one for even less.

Maybe have a look around for a Tascam TM80. It's an iSK800 (Ningbo Shengke Electronic Co) and you can find it for around 45 US$ on Amzon. It doesn't sell well, so it's being discounted as we speak.

It's one of the better Chinese LDC's, just like the MXL's you mention, but even cheaper.

The MXL900 will be fine. It's too bad that they went up in price to $100 because at their previous price of $60 they were pretty much untouchable.

For $100 also consider the AT2020 and the previously mentioned SM57/58 (dynamics, yes. But solid workhorses nonetheless).

If you can stretch another $25 the Lewitt LCT 240 Pro is terrific at its price point. It's similar in spec to the MXL990 but more pleasant sounding all around.

I'd recommend staying away from the BM800/700 type mics for recording music. Their interior components are mainly made of disappointment and sadness :)

I started out my condenser adventure many years ago with the MXL v67G. Does not have a pronounced high end like some MXL mics and the transformer coupled output lends a bit of 'warmth/color' to vocals.
MXL V67G | RecordingHacks.com

I paid $130(US) back in 2003 for the v67G with the shockmount. Amazon appears to have the v67G with the shockmount and a cable for a bit less ('Frequently bought together')....
https://www.amazon.com/MXL-Large-Capsule-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B000JRPYGE

Side note: I've found the 'Amazon Basics' stuff to be of fairly decent quality. I may pick up a couple of their mic cables to give a try...
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...XYQJ2CNC3Z3&psc=1&refRID=XAE0AMP7QXYQJ2CNC3Z3

I've been using an MXL 440 for vocals since October of last year and it's been quite alright for me. Had been using a different (?) MXL Large Diaphragm Condenser mic prior to buying the MXL 440 so I knew what I was getting. It's currently around $50, but I grabbed mine on sale for $30. Which was a steal. Came with it's own mic bag and a hard mount mic stand adapter, but you'd probably want to spend some extra on a shock mount and pop filter. Good luck! Here are the last couple songs in MP3 format that I've done vocals on with this mic if interested: https://bit.ly/2RNArGa & https://bit.ly/2FPjtAH Note: Both totally different song/vocal styles so check both out in case one of them just isn't your thing.

I listened to a podcast (Recording Studio Rockstars) and the guy being interviewed runs Blackbird Academy in Nashville. He recommended a budget mike series that won a few shootouts. The Nady Starpower Series (SP-5 or SP-9). I bought an SP-9 on Amazon for $20. Just got it and haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

12Gauge Microphones make some pretty cool and good sounding microphones. I have a couple of the red omni mics and they sound nice! Costs $35. The green cardioid mic is $45. Ready. Aim. Record.

My studio ISN'T built around top end mics, but I use a few of the Shure workhorses, as well as some lower end mics that have been vetted by time and experience (Studio Projects C1, AT2020, a couple of MXLs, couple of CADs, etc...). I recently bought some headphones with a free mic thrown in. The mic is a 'Rockville RCM01'. I had zero expectations for this mic, but I was quite impressed with it's sound. Once I had heard it, I looked online and found it is sold for under $40. In reading various reviews, I saw I wasn't the only one who was surprised by the sound of this mic. I know there is lots of crummy sounding junk made in China for sale out there. I've tried a couple. But if I were in your shoes, and just wanting a decent mic to get started with for guitar and vocals, if give this one a try.

LyonZ,

It would be nice to know what country you live in, because there are some very good yet cheap mics available in different countries and from different suppliers, but freight costs if buying (say) online can often be almost as much as the actual mic, especially if having to ship to another country.

David

take a look at a CAD GXL2200... i have used one vefore on vocals, acoustic and as an ambient 2nd mic for lead guitar... it's pretty good MIC for the price actually... i'm no great singer but it captured my voice well with very little eq needed as well as my guitars ( american standard Telecaster through Mesa Boogie "rectoverb 50...mic'd with SM57 and the Cad 3 feet away :listeningmusic::guitar:... FALLING OUT OF FEAR WITH YOU by KevHenderson | Kev Henderson | Free Listening on SoundCloudA NEW DAY DAWNING by KevHenderson | Kev Henderson | Free Listening on SoundCloud0224162322-00.jpgSTUDIO3.JPG

Attachments

• 0224162323-00.jpg
    0224162323-00.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 3
  • A New Day Dawning.mp3
    5.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Falling Out Of Fear With You.mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
I've been doing some hunting on my own too.

I now have the 767a, impressive. The blue encore 200 is a "bling" mic but sounds pretty good too.

I've been reading LOADS of good stuff about the following, you might wanna check them out.

Rode M1
Telefunken M80
Heil PR 22 or PR 35

All have amazing reviews. the Rode is 100 USD and supposedly the next "58", looks similar even, and built equally well.

The M80 and PR 35 are 250-ish.

Back