Which of these two microphones would be better for my niece?

inhahe

My niece wants a condenser microphone for singing into (also she has a guitar, so she might want to play the guitar occasionally too). I think she sings mainly in soprano. She has a few microphones on her list, and I've narrowed it down to two that are within my price range.

I'd like to know what people here think would be the better microphone of the two for her purposes?

Here are the two:
MXL 990 Blizzard Limited Edition Condenser Microphone
Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Studio XLR Microphone

(I would include the URLs to the products' webpages, but the BBS isn't letting me because I'm a new user. They can be found easily using Google, however.)

Also, how important is a pop filter with these mics? Because another option is to get the Audio-Technica AT2020 with a pop filter for a few extra dollars.
And if I don't get the one that comes with a pop filter, is it possible to buy a pop filter separately and use it with whatever mic I get?

Thanks

Both are ok for budget mics. Personally I prefer the AT2020, the AT with pop filter sounds like a decent setup. Yes you can buy pop filters separately.

Probably she has thought about it, but whatever she is plugging into does have phantom power? So many people buy condensers then n' make them work!

My niece wants a condenser microphone for singing into (also she has a guitar, so she might want to play the guitar occasionally too). I think she sings mainly in soprano. She has a few microphones on her list, and I've narrowed it down to two that are within my price range.

I'd like to know what people here think would be the better microphone of the two for her purposes?

Here are the two:
MXL 990 Blizzard Limited Edition Condenser Microphone
Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Studio XLR Microphone

(I would include the URLs to the products' webpages, but the BBS isn't letting me because I'm a new user. They can be found easily using Google, however.)

Also, how important is a pop filter with these mics? Because another option is to get the Audio-Technica AT2020 with a pop filter for a few extra dollars.
And if I don't get the one that comes with a pop filter, is it possible to buy a pop filter separately and use it with whatever mic I get?

Thanks

both are good

our church uses mxl990 successfully

pop filters are good especially if she pops her sybilants

check out these reviews
The Best Cheap Microphones Under $50 - XLR & USB - 2018 | Gearank
The Best Condenser Mics Under $100 - XLR & USB - 2018 | Gearank

myself I have 4 mxl990s to use
plus other mikes

that all being said she should look at an sm58 and sm57 clone like these
GLS Audio Professional Series Microphones

Back