Test clip with an EV Cobalt Co4 microphone

hairylarry

Test clip with an EV Cobalt Co4 microphone.

This is a mono recording of my Sigma acoustic guitar. I am using an EV Cobalt Co4 microphone about 6-8 inches from where the neck joins the body as recommended on their spec sheet. I recorded it to my Zoom H4 in mono mode using the built in preamps. The only post production I did was practically no compression and normalization to 96%. I used SAW Classic for post.

I was very impressed with the sound quality. As far as the detail and high end the mic sounds more like a condenser than a dynamic. It also had very good rejection of background noise behind the microphone. While recording I heard my grandson call my daughter in the next room but I don't hear it on the recording.

You can find the clip here. The .flac file is the best quality.

http://www.archive.org/details/rhode_island_rag-ev_co4

Give it a listen and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Definitely a competitor for the SM57 and i5---and really inexpensive on sale. The build quality is ridiculous---you could drive an SM57 through a piece of wood with a Co4. They just went on sale again and I ordered another pair.

Paj
8^)

too many places used SM57s go for less...

I got my Co4 mics for $25 each, new. They're currently available for for $30 each at MF. I have about 40-45 years experience with the SM57. I can't remember exactly when in the 60's I got my first one (which I still have, a la two capsule replacements) because---well, it WAS the sixties! I'm more than idly familiar with the 57 and still own a few. All I'm saying is, if you're looking for an SM57 alternative, I've found to Co4 to be a great value and modern competitor, from a quality company. As a matter of fact, I'm going to have to dig in my trunk to see who made my oldest mic---Shure or EV. I mean really, how can you go wrong?

Peace! (60's redux)
Paj
8^)

Sometime later this month I'm going to get an opportunity to do a side-by-side setup for an SM57 and Co4 on snare and toms for a friend's jazz trio. I'll post so you can have a listen . . .

Last edited:
Maybe 6-8 is a bit too close. I can't tell if it's the mic or just the distance, but the lows seem a little muddy or boomy to me. The highs are crisper than a 57, but then again I would use a condenser for that application anyway. I also hear a lot of preamp noise I presume, since I don't usually hear that level of noise from a dynamic mic.

Sorry for the honest opinion, but I'm not too thrilled by the result.

Co4 on acoustic

Maybe 6-8 is a bit too close. I can't tell if it's the mic or just the distance, but the lows seem a little muddy or boomy to me. The highs are crisper than a 57, but then again I would use a condenser for that application anyway. I also hear a lot of preamp noise I presume, since I don't usually hear that level of noise from a dynamic mic.

Sorry for the honest opinion, but I'm not too thrilled by the result.

I have no problem with your honest opinion and I agree with what you have to say. The house was not quiet. I just closed the doors and recorded. Most often when recording acoustic guitar I use condenser mics. The mic placement should be tuned better, I probably am getting unnecessary proximity effect and I play in a bassy style. I'm using the H4 preamps which are pretty good. I should run some more thorough tests in a better enivironment with my DMP2 preamps.

What I am impressed with about the mic is the detail and force in the upper mids and highs. What it is not is an SM57 replacement. It's not good for singing through at all. Extremely poppy.

In the under $50 category I think it will be a versatile instrument mic. I am interested in trying it on other instruments besides acoustic guitar.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

That would be about right

I think I heard your grandson at 32 seconds on the VBR MP3 one....

thajeremy,

I didn't really hear it but that sounds about right. Let me check. With phones on I can barely make it out. Can't tell what he's saying or even really hear him. Just a little something.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Not an SM57

Hi,

I really think this mic has to be evaluated on it's own. It's not an SM57. It's not even that similar to an SM57 in sound or application. I would never want to have to sing through this mic and I sing through SM57s all the time. I really don't think upper end detail is anywhere in the SM57 spec. I don't really like my SM57 on acoustic guitar.

There is some overlap in functionality but this mic will never be as good at being an SM57 as an SM57 will be and SM57s aren't that expensive either. If you want a 57 get a 57.

This is a different inexpensive mic. IMHO it has better clarity and detail than an SM57 in the upper mids and highs. However never once did I say, "Well now that I've got this Co4 I can just throw my SM57 away."

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Sounds like there is a lot of white noise or hiss on that recording. It's far from high quality I would say. I wouldn't start talking about high quality hid mid range presence or any of that fancy stuff...to me it just sounded very average. A lot of artefactual noise on that recording. The playing style sounds like a lot of finger strumming, which is going to give you that boomy, muddy and washy effect....so that, plus the hiss and breathing sounds = average. I like the rag though!

Average is good

Sounds like there is a lot of white noise or hiss on that recording. It's far from high quality I would say. I wouldn't start talking about high quality hid mid range presence or any of that fancy stuff...to me it just sounded very average. A lot of artefactual noise on that recording. The playing style sounds like a lot of finger strumming, which is going to give you that boomy, muddy and washy effect....so that, plus the hiss and breathing sounds = average. I like the rag though!

Monkey Allen,

Thanks for the compliment on my tune. I do indeed play finger style without picks. I use all four finger nails and practically my whole hand. It's my own style.

I will have to take my guitar into the studio and do another test set. I think most of what you're hearing is just house noise. I was actually testing the mic for my ebay feedback.

I can definitely hear strong midrange and good hi end detail in spite of the environment. I do not hear the boominess referred to but maybe it's my hifi and maybe I'm just used to my guitar sound which is definitely dominated by the bottom four strings.

When evaluating fifty dollar mics average is good and good is excellent. What I am trying to find are mics that work that home recording newbies can afford and not regret. I think the Co4 fits this bill. Doesn't suck.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back