Terrible Sound Quality w/ CAD GXL2200

PumaHD

Hi Everyone!

I bought a CAD GXL2200 and for some reason, it has a terrible sound quality. It's nothing like the other videos you see on YouTube. There's a constant background noise, and my voice just isn't any good. Do you have any idea what this could be? Should I return it? Or is it the cables? (I bought very cheap XLR cabling)

Thanks!

Usual cause is iffy phantom power. Some need the full 48V, which some devices find hard to supply at the proper current. This usually causes higher than usual background noise and an easily distorted sound. Cheap cables rarely sound any different to expensive ones - tonally, but can often rustle or even crackle when moved or the connectors wiggled. Can you post up a sample?

Usually people will suggest trying the mic on something else as a comparison.

The phantom power current draw for that mic appears to be speced at 3ma on CAD's site. This is about the average and "shouldn't" cause any issues with most interfaces. It does need a full 48v, so as Rob had stated if your phantom is less than that, such as some Behringer mixers put out (sometimes as low as 15vdc), that may be the problem.

One thing that possibly could cause some problems is moisture on the capsule from a humid environment. If it's particularly humid where you are perhaps placing the mic in a sealed plastic bag with some desiccant packs may dry it out. Dry rice in a stocking can work as a substitute for desiccant.

How close are you to the mic? Too far away and the mic will pick up background noise and your voice may be a bit tinny and thin sounding.

It's you again! (Thanks so much for constantly helping me :)
I'm very close to the mic, that shouldn't be a problem.
Where I live is very dry, it's almost like a desert. Unless the AC is giving out moisture, but I doubt it.

I seemed to have the same problem with the mixer, so I decided to change it and use a straight up 48V phantom power box. No difference. The mixer is also 48V.

I have a couple days before the return period ends, so if you think that's the problem please let me know.

It's possible, in a moment of absent-mindedness, to discover yourself singing into the back of it, rather than the front.

Back