Tascam TM-80 on sale today $29.99 free shipping

Crying Wolf

Let me start by saying, I have an affinity for cheap mics. I own expensive mics but for some stupid reason I have a thing for cheap mics and like a moth to a flame I am drawn to cheap mics. 9 times out of 10 the cheaper mics never work for my recording needs. Let me repeat that.....never work for my recording needs. So why do I buy them? I have no idea. It's a primal urge I can't resist. Maybe I have mommy issues....maybe they act as a security blanket....or maybe im secretly a hoarder and without them I have mic insecurities. Whatever the case, musiciansfriend.com has their stupid deal of the day going on with this mic priced at $29.99 plus free shipping. I had a $10 coupon for filling out a survey so I paid $19.99.
P.S. For those of you wanting to warn me of the perils of using cheap mics and the horrible results that will ensue....dont bother. Not because I dont care but because I wont listen. I will still buy cheap mics...I have issues.

Stupid Deal of the Day

TASCAM TM-80 Studio Condenser Microphone
Today's Price
$2999 50
MSRP: $79.99
Regular Price: $59.99
(interim markdowns may have applied)
In Stock
Add to CartTASCAMimage.jpg

Excellent primary vocal microphone for your home or project studio. It features a cardioid response pattern and excellent frequency response, and its high SPL spec ensure that it is also viable for louder signals such as drums and guitar cabinets. The TM-80 has an 18mm aluminum diaphragm. Package includes shockmount.
Features
Audio
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20KhZ
Max SPL: 136 dB
Connectivity: XLR
Pattern and type
Capsule: Condenser
Pattern: Hypercardioid
Type: Mounted
Applications: Studio, stage
Phantom power required: Yes (48V)
Size and weight
Width: 1.9" (48 mm)
Height: 6.5" (165 mm)
Depth: 1.9" (48 mm)
Weight: .7 lb.
Included accessories
Case: Pouch
Clip: Shock mount
Power supply: No

Arcaxis, you are killing me :) I have never seen that website....well, there goes my afternoon! My addiction will soon be fed. I swear, if I just took all of the money I have spent on cheap mics I could own a couple of really high end mics......but I would be left feeling empty....so empty.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't realize stellar mics were the same as tascam. I have never used either brand before but im always up for something new.

The self-noise spec is 17dB (77dB S/N), as per the Tascam website. This is the mic that Tascam bundles with its USB recording interfaces.

Paj
8^)

Hey Paj, thanks for the info. The Avantone CV-12 tube mic is at 17db (78 db s/n) also. While I am not suggesting they even sound close ( because they wont) I can handle a self noise spec at 17db because ambient room noise has to be as low or lower than mic self noise. It's not always easy to get an ordinary room below 28-30..... a 10 dba mic won't help much in a room with 25 dba noise.

Typically, for me, I am not going to hear mic self noise if it's less than 20dBa but if I ever have the perfectly treated, sonically balanced room maybe Ill buy a CAD Audio E100s boasting 3.7 dBa.
Thanks for the post!

I purchased a TM-80 and was very disappointed. Sounds tinny and is not an LDC as often claimed. It has a small 18mm capsule. IMO money is better spent elsewhere.

Back