Suggestions for new mics?

lostcausestudio

So right now I currently own quite a few, audix f15 condenser, a mxl 990 &991, shure sm57, Electro-Voice cobalt c09, a cad kbm412 for my kick drum, a matched pair of nady cm-88's for overheads, and the audio technica mb\dk4 drum mic set, I also recently got a mxl r40 ribbon mic. I am on a bit of a budget, trying to remodel my house (as well as the studio) but I would like to expand my collection of microphones, primarily interested in vocal mics (I prefer running my bass and guitar di so I rarely mic those). I would like to get a tube mic at some point, but open to any suggestions, anyone have any mics that they recommend in the 200-700 dollar realm that they absolutely love, if so why? warmth? consistency? frequency response? Any and all feedback welcome.

I used to have the CAD KBM412 for kick, and it did a very serviceable job. However, after it died (from an as-yet undetermined cause), I took the opportunity to replace it with a Beyer Dynamic M88. That's a versatile mike that's also great on kick.

My very first condenser was a Rode NT1 , bought around the turn of the century. Since then I've accumulated quite a few Rode mikes. At some stage I bought an AKG C414 XLS, and for a while that was my go-to mike. But on a whim I bought the re-invented black NT1, which now has taken the place of the AKG. It has a lovely warmth, can be used on just about anything, and is about a fifth of the price of the AKG.

I've got a Miktek C1 (cardioid only) that works well for me on vocals. I have a bunch other LDC's that I've bought over the years and the Miktek just sounds good on vocals compared to a few of the others. It does have a transformer coupled output which perhaps contributes to its sound which I could best describe as smooth with clarity. A more budget version is the Miktek MK300 (multi-pattern) which supposedly has the Miktek sound and gets good recommendations on a couple other boards.
Miktek MK300

Another that might be worthy of a look is the sE Electronics sE2300. I have an sE2200aIIC that also has done well on vocals. If the sE2300 is similar, it should sound pretty good as well.
sE Electronics sE2300

If you can't try before you buy, research, read reviews, and try to listen to a lot of demos.

I appreciate the feedback guys, those are some good suggestions I will look into, I have also been looking at the akg perception 100, I have heard good things about that (although its discontinued and you gotta buy it used) anyone have any experience with the perception mic's? Each vocalist has their own sound and some mic's do better than others so I want to have the ability to be versatile for my vocal recording. I would kill to have a u87 but, that's a bit out of what I am willing to spend at the moment lol, I had the pleasure of being able to use one when I went to school for audio engineering, Fantastic mic and very consistent.

I switched from Shure pga set (entry level) to a current setup: Audix, d2, d2, d4, d6, i5 and a pair of adx51s for overheads.
However, I decided to place my i5 as bottom snare and purchased an Earthworks dm20 for the stop snare. The difference between dm20 and i5 is as obvious as it is when comparing the overheads (adx51 vs pgas). Finally I ordered a Shure ksm 137 as a dedicated hihat mic, and ksm 141 for various purposes (gonna try it as a crotch mic since it can be switched to omni).
Long story short, if you have decent drums and cymbals, better mics are going to make a difference.

with the low ceilings the overhead mics pick up my hi hat well, I run a top bottom setup on my snare too, I usually use the audix f15 on the bottom and the sm57 up top, condenser pics up some of the subtle nuances of the snares really well. I have the audio technica set on all of my toms, and the cad mic in the kick, they do really well tbh, right now i am focusing purely on vocal style mics. While I don't doubt the audix mic set sounds nice, the set I have sounds really good

Adding information

Sorry, wrong location. Still trying to find my way around the forum. I'll create new thread.

Calling all Metal Heads! I know that mic's are personal preferrence but does anyone have any opinions on the MXL 770 for recording metal/thrash style voclas? Ive seen a few good reviews on them but wanted to ask you guys your opinion. Saw them on Amazon for around $70-80. Need something good for powerful, loud singing style. I just have a SM57 & 58 right now. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Back