Studio mic required (sub $250)

Wiired

I'm setting up a small studio and need some expert advice here. A limited budget so need bang for buck.

Considerations:
Primarily voice work (not singing)
Under $250 (with shock mount)
I'm male with a moderately deep voice

Bonus:
Singing and instrument recording (acoustic and electric guitar amp)

Environment:
The room I'm using is 3x4m with concrete walls. A PC (fan noise) will be 1m behind the mic but I can try double sided acoustic paneling to deaden the area down a bit. This may affect my mic choice however.

I'll be recording with a PC (Win7 x64) so I'll need something appropriate to do A/D conversion via USB2 or USB3 with a decent sample rate.
If there is latency involved then I would like to be able to monitor the mic and another couple of audio channels at the same time on my headphones.
Perhaps you could recommend a small USB2/3 mixer that has phantom power if I require it. A mic/metered preamp is another possibility. Under $200 for audio processing.

As for what mic and style to get I'm not sure. I'm not beyond getting a USB mic as long as latency monitoring doesn't become an issue. The AKG Perception 420 sounded good to me and seemed to have some flexibility but are there better or cheaper options out there? If you suggest something please quantify it.

Thanks!

Back