strokes

raven46

i was listening to the strokes earlies dose anyone one know what effect the singer uses or how hw gets his vocals like that, its pretty cool whatever it is!!!

hungovermorning said:
Plug in a guitar distortion pedal, either an overdrive or a Proco Vintage Rat will definitely do it.

And don't forget some over the top compression.....

Or reamp through a guitar amp or you could just crank a good quality tube mic pre, compressor etc if you happen to have those kinds of tools at your disposal.

I'd love to play around with one of those culture vultures, that'll give you some nice distorted sounds I'd wager. ;)

http://www.thermionicculture.com/products/culture_vulture.htm

Here's a bit on the strokes from Gordon Raphael:

"One of the most distinctive features of Is This It is the sound of Julian Casablancas' vocals, which are curiously distorted and compressed from beginning to end. "There were two techniques," explains Gordon. "One consisted of an Audio-Technica 4033A mic going through the Avalon 737, and I would usually work with Julian for an hour just to get the voice tone. Until the final result was achieved he would be extremely suspicious and unhappy, and invariably the final result would have some kind of messiness or not-quite-rightness about it, at which point he would smile and say, 'This is great.' So, that was one technique, and then the second technique was something that Julian had discovered on his own at home while making the demos. He liked to sing through his Peavey practice amp, which is about eight inches tall, and I'd mike that with a Neumann TLM103, so he'd still be singing into the Audio-Technica (Julian found the Neumann distasteful!), but I'd be Neumanning it in order to get the exact details of what this horrible little amp sounded like. He wanted it shitty, but not too shitty. He would always say things like, 'This sound needs to have its tie loosened.' Those were the kind of technical descriptions I would get every day. On the EP, two of the tracks have live vocals, whereas on the album he knew from the beginning that he wanted to be in the control room with me while they were tracking, just concentrating on that and leaving the vocals for later."

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Apr02/articles/gordonraphael.asp

nice one guys, im recording a friend and he asked me to get the vocal similar to the strokes singer i'm not really into them so i had to take a listen and i know im not going to pull off the same result in my small shitty studio with my cheap shitty equiptment but i was going to try ;) so i added some warm tube distortion and lots of compression, when he is singing low or kinda talking the lyric it didnt come off right but when he was belting out the vocal and after messing with the eq turning up the mid and highs a bit i was getting kinda close,

cheers for the info....

Back