The Strokes

shinealight

Sorry if there has been a thread about this before, but I'm just wondering if anybody knows what mic Julian used on "Is This It"?

I know it's an instrument mic, but I don't know what type. My band is trying to use an effect similar by doubling up mic's for our vocalist, so we can have that rough effect panning in the background when he holds some notes.

I believe he sings through a Shure SM57. The is the renaissance mic of the recording world. It is most commonly used to mic guitar amps. $79.

Yeah, we have three SM57's in the basement, but I wasn't sure if he sang through that or not.

We'll try taping together an SM58 and a 57, see what the results are like.

according to the engineer/producer Gordon Raphael, two techniques were used - AT4033a trhrough an avalon 737, and the other method was an unnamed mic (perhaps a 57) throuh a smalll peavey practice amp which was miced with a tlm103

guitar signal chain- Fender deville amps - strat and hollow body gibson - sennheiser md 421 "dangaling" Through API pres with flat eq..

drums! - kick beta 58, snare 57 top and bottom, at4033 out front through 737 (this was the general set up but i'd guess there would be some other mics thrown in here and there). mono drums? interesting, unless the 4033 is a stereo mic....

try and hunt down interviews with Gordon Raphael, he's very open about revealing his techniques... and what is interesting is to note he used the kind of gear thats pretty accessable to a lot of us

I heard too that his vocal went thru a guitar amp. Won't work for acoustic recording tho, but I'd try it for a low-fi effect w/ band.

That vocal mic technique sounds pretty cool, definitely something I'll have to try. Isn't funny how EVERYONE has a small peavey practice amp laying around? I have one at my home studio, and I honestly don't even know how I got it or who it belongs to. It was just there one day. Now I have a use for it!

EleKtriKaz said:
Isn't funny how EVERYONE has a small peavey practice amp laying around? I have one at my home studio, and I honestly don't even know how I got it or who it belongs to. It was just there one day. Now I have a use for it!

Dammit! I finally dropped my collaborator's Peavey, the speaker fell out the front, but we beat it back together, reconnected the speaker and it works fine! I HATE THAT AMP! CAN IT NEVER DIE???? IT'S ALMOST TWENTY FREAKIN' YEARS OLD!!!!

It does have one good tone we affectionately call "Megadeth".

mshilarious said:
Dammit! I finally dropped my collaborator's Peavey, the speaker fell out the front, but we beat it back together, reconnected the speaker and it works fine! I HATE THAT AMP! CAN IT NEVER DIE???? IT'S ALMOST TWENTY FREAKIN' YEARS OLD!!!!

It does have one good tone we affectionately call "Megadeth".

Haha...I know you can't get rid of them. You don't even have to find them. They find you. Scary...

EleKtriKaz said:
Isn't funny how EVERYONE has a small peavey practice amp laying around?

I wish I had a practice amp. I have a next to worthless Peavey half stack that I somehow aquired taking up space.

I don't have a Peavey practice amp, but I do have a busted old Squier amp somewhere. Last time I tried to use it it made some ungodly squealing noise though, so I gave up on it. I don't think I'd want to have a Peavey practice amp, but I wouldn't mind one of the Peavey Classics.

Back