Stereo Mics

DJL

Self Banned
I'm looking for a good but cheap budget stereo mic for use with the little Korg PXR4... budget is $100... any recommendations? Does anyone here have a Audio-Technica PRO 24 stereo mic ($70) opinion/review? Thanks, Don.

DJL said:
I'm looking for a good but cheap budget stereo mic for use with the little Korg PXR4... budget is $100... any recommendations? Does anyone here have a Audio-Technica PRO 24 stereo mic ($70) opinion/review? Thanks, Don.

DJL,

Where all your money's gone? :eek: :D

What is the main purpose of the recording and why stereo mic? Is it "one-point" feature, space limitations, or just portability?
Remember, in this price range most, if not all, the stuff would be an electret type, and if you need more or less quality recordings you'd be much better off with something like a pair of Oktava 012s.

On ebay I saw a pair of very little omnies. IIRC, around $50. They are custom made out of Panasonic capsules with Linkwitz mod (if you remember, I covered it in my ECM8000 mods thread). Should sound OK (probably like ECM8000, but with higher SPL handling). They had a few different models, and even an optional little pre. If you want I can search ebay and give you a suggestion.

EDIT: Duh, just read kidvybes' message. He provided the link to this company. The moral: never ever post until you read all the replies :)

Last edited:
I’ve got a PXR4 too...

I have a small stereo condenser mic that looks to be a couple of the Panasonic elements in either side of a small tube approx 1” in length with an alligator clip attached and a stereo cable coming out of it. I forgot where I bought it, but I originally used it with a mini disk recorder I had. I think it needs around 1.2V to operate. The mini disk recorder I had supplied this voltage, but I’m not sure about the Korg (probably doesn’t but don’t know for sure since I’ve never tried it with mine…) If not, then you’ll need a way to "charge" the mics if you don’t buy the type with a battery compartment.

They sell mini preamps for this type of thing, but they are $$$.

Back