Static noise. Mic Broken?

Oscar Rojas

Hello all,

I have 3 different condenser mics, which I connect with XLR cable to an Mbox2 for recording

One of the mics (AKG perception 200), picks up a noise like if wind was blowing. This doesn't happen with the other 2. I changed inputs and changed cables also on both inputs. Same thing, sound is only picked up on the AKG. I've also tried positioning the mic all over the room.

There's no a/c, no fan, no open windows.

Worst is, it's not always there, only about 70% of the time. I'm not doing anything differently the 30% when it works fine. Sometimes the noise stops for some time, then suddenly i'ts heard again, without me moving anything. I can't find any pattern

Using the bass cut and/or preattenuation switches doesn't solve it

Is the mic just broken? Is there anything I'm not considering?

Oscar

It does sound like a problem with the mike.

If two mikes work fine, and the third doesn't, and the other factors have all been checked, then it sounds like the third is in trouble.

Possibly the capsule in the mic has moisture on it which may change a bit from time to time. The moisture could be there from dampness in the room air or from your breath as you use it. Using a pop filter can reduce breath moisture from getting into the mic.

Using either desiccant packs or dry white rice in a seal-able plastic bag for a day or two may dry it out if moisture is the problem. If using rice, put it in a stocking so any dust from the rice doesn't get into the mic. Image below is how I did it with a mic that had developed some noise from moisture.

desiccant packs from Amazon

Attachments

• damp mic.jpg
    damp mic.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 15
It will be condensation so do this ^^^^^^

Or the XLR is dirty or making a bad connection causing the phantom power to be intermittent, so give the XLR pins on the mic a clean.

Alan.

hey there, i've got the same problem in my condenser now, when switching from cardioid to omnidirectional. have you solved this problem? was it the moisture?

Back