SPL Channel One and my current set-up, whattaboutit?

Speeddemon

Hi, after you've all had the chance to see me gettin' drowsy about the Joemeek VC1Q, this guy on H.C. recommend the SPL Channel One to me. Now, this Channel One is double the price of the Meek, my question: Is it worth it, considering it will only be used in a bedroomstudio with no customers/clients yet?

My current gear consist of:
-Korg d16-harddisk recorder
-Sennheiser HD265 Lineair-headphones
-Shure SM57-dynamic mic
-Sennheiser e609-dynamic mic
-Boss Dr. Rhythm 670-drumcomputer
-Alesis QS7-synthesizer with Quadraverb-effects
-Boss GT-3-Guitar multi-fx processor
-bunch o' guitars, bassguitar (Cort NA-4), amps, cables...

Now, as you see, no condenser, no monitors, no decent pre amp, no decent outboard gear...

Scenario 1 -Event PS-6 monitors, Joemeek VC1Q pre, Audio Technica AT-4033 SE. $1500. :)
Scenario 2 -Mackie HR 824 monitors, SPL Channel One pre, Audio Technica AT-4033 SE. $2900. :(
Scenario 3 -Event PS-6 monitors, SPL Channel One pre, Audio Technica AT-4033 SE. $2000 :confused:

Can I have some suggestions? I mean, if the Events will service me for a couple of years, why not? It'll save me $900!

Ofcourse good gear will last longer, but my wallet won't. ;)

Thanks for any help.
cheerz

Speeddemon said:
Hi, after you've all had the chance to see me gettin' drowsy about the Joemeek VC1Q, this guy on H.C. recommend the SPL Channel One to me. Now, this Channel One is double the price of the Meek, my question: Is it worth it, considering it will only be used in a bedroomstudio with no customers/clients yet?

My current gear consist of:
-Korg d16-harddisk recorder
-Sennheiser HD265 Lineair-headphones
-Shure SM57-dynamic mic
-Sennheiser e609-dynamic mic
-Boss Dr. Rhythm 670-drumcomputer
-Alesis QS7-synthesizer with Quadraverb-effects
-Boss GT-3-Guitar multi-fx processor
-bunch o' guitars, bassguitar (Cort NA-4), amps, cables...

Now, as you see, no condenser, no monitors, no decent pre amp, no decent outboard gear...

Scenario 1 -Event PS-6 monitors, Joemeek VC1Q pre, Audio Technica AT-4033 SE. $1500. :)
Scenario 2 -Mackie HR 824 monitors, SPL Channel One pre, Audio Technica AT-4033 SE. $2900. :(
Scenario 3 -Event PS-6 monitors, SPL Channel One pre, Audio Technica AT-4033 SE. $2000 :confused:

Can I have some suggestions? I mean, if the Events will service me for a couple of years, why not? It'll save me $900!

Ofcourse good gear will last longer, but my wallet won't. ;)

Thanks for any help.
cheerz

If you are considering something in the hr824 price range, you should seriously consider the adam p11a. thomann.de sells them for around 1400€/pair, and there are people who sold their 1031's after hearing the adams.
Invest as much as your budget allows in your monitoring chain and accoustic treatment, then think about mics and mic pres. You will have much more fun with a mackie mixer and pair of awsome monitors than with an spl and mediocre monitors.
my 2 centavos
Harald

If this is going to be your main pre, I don't think I'd be looking at something as colorful as the meek. Nor do I think I would be spending over $1000 for any single piece of gear with your current setup.

I don't think you could go wrong with either a DMP3 or 1-2 RNMPs...

Dolemite said:
If this is going to be your main pre, I don't think I'd be looking at something as colorful as the meek. Nor do I think I would be spending over $1000 for any single piece of gear with your current setup.

I don't think you could go wrong with either a DMP3 or 1-2 RNMPs...

I use the Meek and it's a great pre.
The color comes from the compressor.
The Meek can be as clean or as dirty as you want.
If you want less color, turn down the compressor or switch it out and use a RNC after it.
The Meek also has an insert after the pre to put your own compressor before the EQ.
Mellencamp uses them, and I love his vocal and drum sounds.
The RNMP hasn't been released yet and few people know what they sound like.
I find it amazing anyone would recommend a product they haven't used, heard, or seen.
"The Meek shall inherit the earth."
Good Luck,
Carmen
:)

Hiya Speedman,Sitting here trying to think what I would do in your shoes.I've heard good things about the Meek from people whose opinions I've come to trust.I think that if you get the Meek and you need a clean option(although I've heard it's not that colored)you could always pick up an Audio Buddy or spend $200 on a DMP3.

just something that came to mind after reading the responses here:
Has anybody heard either the rnmp or the dmp3 so far? AFAIK they are both not even released yet. how can you recommend something that isn't even available (please take in mind that the questioner is from europe)

Thanks for jumping in, h kuhn. I doubt whether I can even GET the RNMP, EVEN when it IS released.
Randy, I was thinking that too, this summer buying the Meek, in the winter (after I gained some more dough) add an AudioBuddy or DMP-3 (Damn, I love VU-meters! ;) )

To the one that said the SPL will be 'overkill' compared to the rest of my gear, remember I WILL upgrade that rest someday within the next 3-5 years...
But I figured too, in a bedroomstudio with no clients yet, I could better invest in the best monitors, than a really expensive pre, and besides, everyone IS telling me that the Meek is fine.

More thoughts, folks?

FMR audio has a german distributor, the problem is that the price they can sell the rnc and later the rnmp for is much higher than in the US because of customs and sales tax. That being said I would`'t invest in a preamp under 500US$ per channel anymore (talking about preamps, *not* voicechannels that include compressors and eq). The advantage you would have over the mackie or soundcraft boards is neglectible, the real differences start with something like the neves or manley or maybe a telefunken v376 (which are still cheap in germany!). The only interesting european product i found so far is the DACS two channel mic pre (seems to play in the same league as the grace), but i haven't heard the unit yet.
Peace
Harald

h kuhn?

What are you saying? Should I skip the Meek VC1Q for $500 (in Holland) and buy a Spirit Folio SX (for $500) and have 12 mic pre's and 8 direct outs, or WILL the Meek be nice?
I'm certainly not gonna pay $1300 for a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro...

Re: h kuhn?

Speeddemon said:
What are you saying? Should I skip the Meek VC1Q for $500 (in Holland) and buy a Spirit Folio SX (for $500) and have 12 mic pre's and 8 direct outs, or WILL the Meek be nice?
I'm certainly not gonna pay $1300 for a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro...
well, maybe the 1202? it's still 3 pres more than the meek would have, and set you back how much, 400€?
YOu might then get a meek compressor, you'll have the meek sound, 4 clean channels, a line mixer for monitoring and at the same time a small, well build mixer for live gigs. YMMV, but to me that sounds more like a deal.
We are using a spirit f1 in the club i am working at, the problem i see is the build quality. But it sounds good.

h kuhn

Now I'm totally confused. I did a lot of research on decent mic pre's up to $500.
I came up with:
-Joemeek VC1Q(cs)
-Drawmer MX60
-Presonus VXP
-MindPrint Envoice
-Grace 101

I don't take much of the RNMP-hype, so fogheddabouddit. ;)
Anyway, I asked if the Meek VC1Q would be a big step up from those Mackie-VLZPro-pre's. They said yes.

I would'certainly NOT buy the 1202, as it has no faders, no direct outs and only 2 auxes.
I was considering a Folio SX for a mixer, nice price/value, 3 auxes, 12 mic pre's, 100mm faders, 8 direct outs (pre/post switchable, 12 inserts and a subgroup for around $450.
I would then connect the 8 direct outs to my 8 inputs of the Korg D16.
But I also figured I need 1 decent channelstrip, hence the VC1Q.

What's your thought on it, h kuhn?

Re: h kuhn

Speeddemon said:
Now I'm totally confused. I did a lot of research on decent mic pre's up to $500.
I came up with:
-Joemeek VC1Q(cs)
-Drawmer MX60
-Presonus VXP
-MindPrint Envoice
-Grace 101

I don't take much of the RNMP-hype, so fogheddabouddit. ;)
Anyway, I asked if the Meek VC1Q would be a big step up from those Mackie-VLZPro-pre's. They said yes.

I would'certainly NOT buy the 1202, as it has no faders, no direct outs and only 2 auxes.
I was considering a Folio SX for a mixer, nice price/value, 3 auxes, 12 mic pre's, 100mm faders, 8 direct outs (pre/post switchable, 12 inserts and a subgroup for around $450.
I would then connect the 8 direct outs to my 8 inputs of the Korg D16.
But I also figured I need 1 decent channelstrip, hence the VC1Q.

What's your thought on it, h kuhn?

What exactly do you expect will the "decent channel strip" in the sub 1000€ category do to your recording that a nice compressor hooked up to your board won't do? And why do you think you need faders? You won't use the board for mixing anyway, envelope mixing inside of your recording software gives you much higher quality and is much more convenient once you got used to it. And pots won't need much maintainance, faders do, especially cheap ones like those of the spirit. Ever opnened up a mixer to clean the faders that became scratchy?
Don't understand me wrong: I myself *have* to rather decent stereo mic pres (mp20 and a studio technologies), I bought them because i found them both very cehap used and i needed more clean gain for my ribbons, but the only real advantage they give me over a small mixer is that they are easier to move around as i do mainly on location recordings. If i had a home studio setup i most certainly would use mackie, or maybe the spirit, but not because of its faders.
BTW where in europe can you buy either the vxp or the grace for 500US$?

h kuhn

Grace...haven't seen them yet in EU.
Checked
www.digitalvillage.co.uk
www.thomann.de
www.musicstorekoeln.de (doesn't work always)
www.europeanmusician.com
www.musikproduktiv.de

The VXP they have at musikproduktiv, but at appr. $900.... :mad:

But what DO YOU think about the mentioned Meek? As far as I know, both the Meek and the Grace are the best pre's in the $400-700 range, besides 2nd stuff (Sytek, etc.)
As I do surf/rock/metal mostly, I think my sound will benefit from the Meek.
BTW, At Thomann, they have the VC1Qcs now for $450!!!

Speeddemon said:
Grace...haven't seen them yet in EU.
Checked
www.digitalvillage.co.uk
www.thomann.de
www.musicstorekoeln.de (doesn't work always)
www.europeanmusician.com
www.musikproduktiv.de

The VXP they have at musikproduktiv, but at appr. $900.... :mad:

But what DO YOU think about the mentioned Meek? As far as I know, both the Meek and the Grace are the best pre's in the $400-700 range, besides 2nd stuff (Sytek, etc.)
As I do surf/rock/metal mostly, I think my sound will benefit from the Meek.
BTW, At Thomann, they have the VC1Qcs now for $450!!!

I haven't heard the meek myself, i am recording mostly classical music and Jazz, so my main interest is clean gain. IMHO the main mistake you are making is comparing apples to oranges. The grace is a totally different concept than the meek, the vxp is different from the mindprint. If you really need a lot of very clean gain and no colour, look out for something like the grace, ie a pure microphone preamp, no frills, no transformers, a "wire with gain". But be aware that you might be very disappointed about the little difference you will hear compared to some mixer pres. And be aware that you will hear even more detailed all the problems of your room! You will end up investing much more money than you wanted in accoustic treatment...

then there are the *channelstrips*. i know the mindprint and the tl audio, what makes you go "wow" on these units is mainly the *compressor*, not the pre.
To resume: I think you will benefit much more from a decent standalone compressor than from a channelstrip or a standalone micpre. And did someone mention that you should *listen* to any unit before you buy? only you can decide if it's worth the money for *your* application.

h kuhn said:
just something that came to mind after reading the responses here:
Has anybody heard either the rnmp or the dmp3 so far? AFAIK they are both not even released yet. how can you recommend something that isn't even available (please take in mind that the questioner is from europe)

CarmenC said:
I find it amazing anyone would recommend a product they haven't used, heard, or seen.

Well can I recommend against something that I do use? Is that OK with your highness? I just got a VC3Q and while it sounds great in the right situation, it also makes me appreciate my cleaner mic pre's, because even with the compressor/EQ switched off, its still not what I would call clean when you're using a moderate amount of gain. Again, sometimes varying levels of the Meek sound is perfect for certain vocals, or especially with a mic'ed amp or bass DI, but I would always want a cleaner option for when I need it. The Meek pre is pretty thick and full compared to my DMP2. I get the sense that your mix would turn to mud if you used it on every track.

Yeah, yeah, I know that the VC3Q is not the same as the VC1Q, but I have it from good sources that the sound is very similar.

So how can I recommend the DMP3 and RNMP? I have a DMP2...and according to the guys that put these boxes together, DMP3 = DMP2 + VU meters. Last I checked, VU meters didn't alter the sound too much. ;)

RNMP...need I say more? This thing has legions of pro's waiting with baited breath. How can you ignore the people who brought us the RNC?

h kuhn said:
IMHO the main mistake you are making is comparing apples to oranges. The grace is a totally different concept than the meek, the vxp is different from the mindprint. If you really need a lot of very clean gain and no colour, look out for something like the grace, ie a pure microphone preamp, no frills, no transformers, a "wire with gain".

Agreed. Figure out what you're after as far as sound/tone, what your needs are for compression, EQ, de-ess, etc. That will narrow down the field and quite possibly make this decision pretty easy.

Speeddemon said:
Thanks for jumping in, h kuhn. I doubt whether I can even GET the RNMP, EVEN when it IS released.
You can currently order from overseas FMR's RNC from at least two U.S. stores - Mercenary and HumbuckerMusic. So I assume they will also sell the RNMP. (Not that I'm suggesting that you should wait for something that was supposed to be released a year ago!).

I'm in a similar situation to yours. For better or for worse, I bought the Mackie HR824 monitors as one of the first bits of major gear. I figured that these will help me develop my ears from Day One. And unless they break down (touch wood) or I become a super producer, they are likely to service me for life. The goal is to avoid an expensive monitor upgrade that will only cost me more money in my lifetime. (Of course in the unlikely event that I should ever grow to dislike them, and monitors go down in price by that time, then that may blow that economic viewpoint out of the water). If you audition the Event PS6's and want them, then of course go with it.

The mic-pre situation is a bit different to monitors however. Most people seem to agree that will want/need more than just one. So if you want to buy the Joe Meek VC1Q then that's fine, because you will always have a use for it. For clean now though, I'd consider the Audio-Buddy + FMR RNC because these products are cheap, get great raps, and you will always find a use for them later. Then buy an expensive clean pre later when you have good room insulation/acoustics, a larger mic locker, when you have more experience to better wade through the many products available, and when prices have come down anyway (after the competitive release of the RNMP, just kidding ;))

Regards,
rathpy

Thanx rathpy

nice insight. I discussed this with my girlfriend (BTW, she thinks the Meek VC1Q is butt-ugly.... her butt is a size 4, so butt-ugly from her mouth would still mean 'damn fine' , eh? :D ) and she said something similar to your sayings rathpy. Monitors are the most important listening tool, so don't skimp at those.

I only figured that, if I could have great mixes on cheaper ones (Behringer truths, tannoy reveals, event ps-6/8's) I could save myself a lot of money. Difference between Truth and HR824 is $1200!!! There's my SPL, eh? ;)

Anyway, h kuhn just started to confuse me more and more. I need a retro sound, I think, so the Meek would do that, right? Like I said somewhere above, I WAS planning on adding the Audiobuddy OR a DMP-3, maybe for my AT-4033 (which I don't have yet, but maybe in sept.) or else for my SM57 and e609.
And he said, the Meek would be too colourfull for work as a main pre, but I heard when disengaging the compressor, it's pretty clean.

Well, I have to do some serious money saving, and probably go for the:
Joemeek VC1Q $500 in Holland
Mackie HR 824 ($1600 in Holland and Germany)
Audiobuddy/DMP-3 later this year.

More thoughts, people?

Re: Thanx rathpy

Speeddemon said:
Anyway, h kuhn just started to confuse me more and more. I need a retro sound, I think, so the Meek would do that, right? And he said, the Meek would be too colourfull for work as a main pre, but I heard when disengaging the compressor, it's pretty clean.

I never said that. I only said that the "meek" sound that people are after is probably more the comp than the pre.
I am sorry that i have confused you.
The important thing is:
1) Listen to all that stuff *yourself*, and don't buy things just because someone tells you that you need it.
2) Don't buy crap that you might only use as doorstop in 1 or 2 years. Quality costs money, if you try to buy cheap, you very often buy twice.

My suggestion:
Adam p11a 1400€
joemeek SC2.2 590€ (stereo/dual mono compressor)
spirit f1 400€

h kuhn

I wasn't offending you, I hope you understand that. But, when you say: "Don't buy cheap, or buy twice", do you really think the Meek VC1Q is 'buying cheap'. I hope not. Besides, I HAVE fiddled around with the Spirit Folio F1, well, rather flimsy stuff.

But, I'll be sure to check those Adams monitors.
Maybe this suits my wallet even more:

-Monitors (Mackie, Adams, Genelec 1030a's)
-M Audio DMP-3
-Behringer Composer Pro, or (if I can get one) a RNC.

Speeddemon said:

-Monitors (Mackie, Adams, Genelec 1030a's)
-M Audio DMP-3
-Behringer Composer Pro, or (if I can get one) a RNC.

I am only thinking in terms of flexibility and long term usability. Didn't you say that you record rock music? What will you do when you want to record a whole band or at least the rythm section at once? (i am not familiar with the korg d16, has it mic pres?)
Again, a small board like the f1 (you wanted faders...) or better the 1202vlz will give you the same quality like the dmp3, but more inputs and much more flexibility.
I wouldn't buy the composer, go for the rnc. I have it and i really love it, but it is *very* clean, no "vintage" sound here! FMR has a european distributor (but i can't remember their website), and you can also order it directly from mercenary.com. I once have seen it at amptown in hamburg, but i didn't ask for the price.
And no, i didn't want to say that joemeek is crap. I think the composer and maybe the dmp2 fit more in that category.

Back