Speaker Cone as Mic???

earwhig

I saw a picture awhile back of Green Day or some such punk band in the studio. It appeared as if the kick were being miced by a ten inch speaker cone. Am I crazy? or can you reverse the wiring on a speaker and use that as a mic?

(I know, I know, I have yet to read and digest the Harvy Gerst Mic Bible Thread)

earwhig said:
I saw a picture awhile back of Green Day or some such punk band in the studio. It appeared as if the kick were being miced by a ten inch speaker cone. Am I crazy? or can you reverse the wiring on a speaker and use that as a mic?

(I know, I know, I have yet to read and digest the Harvy Gerst Mic Bible Thread)

http://www.zyra.org.uk/sp-mic.htm

earwhig said:

No you're not crazy... I don't remember Harvey saying anything about it in his big mic thread, but maybe he did. Anyway, checkout the link crazydo posted above... and all the other links in that thread and you should find everything you want to know.

IIRC Geoff Emerick was written up by EMI for misuse of their property after wiring up a speaker to mic Paul on I believe Rubber Soul.

Talk about stepping over the $20 bills to pick up the nickels!

ez_willis said:

"The flipside of this is that it's possible to use speakers for bugging. Being a paranoid myself I am not in favour of this, but I consider that it's important to check speakers to see if they are being used for bugging. Remember that there is no little "bug" involved - it's the speaker itself that is the listening device. If you are a paranoid too, remember it's where the wires go that's important!"

LOL!

OneArmedScissor said:
"The flipside of this is that it's possible to use speakers for bugging. Being a paranoid myself I am not in favour of this, but I consider that it's important to check speakers to see if they are being used for bugging. Remember that there is no little "bug" involved - it's the speaker itself that is the listening device. If you are a paranoid too, remember it's where the wires go that's important!"

LOL!
If you're really being bugged and want to have some fun... crank up a white noise generator next to that speaker... that will really piss them off... lol. :D

You can even use cheap headphones as mic. Especially in situtations where
the desired vocal effect you want is similar to the vocal sounds on your basic answering machine.

MISTERQCUE said:
You can even use cheap headphones as mic. Especially in situtations where
the desired vocal effect you want is similar to the vocal sounds on your basic answering machine.
I use my discman headphones occassionally for imprompteu recording sessions. Why? Because I've often got them with me (due to the nature of a discman) and sometimes I come up with something good while I'm at somebody else's house.

The little fellas plug straight into most home stereos' mic inputs - and because they are the over-the-ear type you can clip them onto the edge of the soundhole on an acoustic which makes them sit right on the soundboard (inside or out).

I think I'm gonna have to try the kick drum idea!

Back