SP T3 power supply + phantom power = kaloooey!?

spiral

SP T3 power supply + phantom power = kabloooey!?

I just got the Studio Projects T3 and for the little time i have spent with it, it is quite lovely.

I have a question about phantom power and the power supply that powers the mic. The manual says to not use phantom power but does not say why. I was just wondering if someone could generally explain why this is and specifically (Alan?) how it might affect the T3 or its power supply.

What i really don't want to admit/ask is: Can i use phantom power even though the manual says not to and why? What i'm hoping is that it is just a general just in case warning and in some universe i might not have to adhere. :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hell no you can't use phantom power with this mic. Why would you want to? To see if you can roach the power supply? It recieves its power for the tube and to charge the capsule from its own power source, no need for phantom power.:eek:

calm down yo.

I was asking because i don't have individual channel control of phantom power on my mixer so i can't use my T3 with other condensors unless i get an outboard pre. I thought i was posting on home recording instead of RAP. I'll be more careful next time. :rolleyes: Thanks for the informational part of your post.

Spiral,

I have the same mic, and I don't know the answer either. My Mackie board allows phantom power to be "on" or "off," but it doesn't have switched phantom power for each channel.

It's a good question, and I'm hoping Justin or Alan will be around to answer it shortly.

I do know that EV built the dynamic RE20 and RE27 to ignore phantom power, which was thoughtful for just the reason you state.

Best wishes,

Mark H.

I have the same problem with my board and have been using a SE5000 tube mic. I have left the phantom on and it hasnt fried the power supply yet.

Mark H. said:
I do know that EV built the dynamic RE20 and RE27 to ignore phantom power, which was thoughtful for just the reason you state.

They didn't build them that way, that's just a property of dynamic mics (I know the RE20 is dynamic, so I'm assuming the 27 is too). No dynamic mic will be affected by phantom power. Ribbon mics, on the other hand, can be destroyed by it.

It is wise to keep in mind a few things here;

1; Most affordable/compact mixers have been designed primarily for "live" use...........in other words, mainly using dynamic mics.

2; The burgeoning "homercording" market with it's influx of affordable condenser mics has possibly made these "live use" mixers less than adequate for some enthusiastic homerecorders.

3; If a warning is printed in the instructions, then TAKE NOTICE OF IT!!!............alternatively, email Alan Hyatt and ask for clarification......DON'T just wait for him to turn up in here.

:cool:

indeed the warning HAS BEEN NOTED and is why i posted. the unanswered question still remains: will phantom power fry the power supply and if so why? I thought someone in this forum might have insight as to how a power supply works. Thanks for the comments.

:)

Spiral,

Considering Alan has recently been o/seas, etc., it is possible he is too busy catching up on work to drop in here..........this is why I suggested emailing him direct. If he isn't available, then maybe his son Justin could answer your query.

Good Luck.

:cool:

Thanks for posting again ausrock. I was reading a bit of attitude in the replies to something that didn't really warrant sass. This isn't so in your case. :) Thank you.

Re: SP T3 power supply + phantom power = kabloooey!?

spiral said:

What i really don't want to admit/ask is: Can i use phantom power even though the manual says not to and why? What i'm hoping is that it is just a general just in case warning and in some universe i might not have to adhere. :)

Thanks.

Hey Spiral,

Sorry, but I have been real busy as I was out of the country. When I got back, I had a ton of work to do, and we are trying to make room for our new shipment that's coming in.

Since you do not plug the mic directly into your console, the mic does not see the voltage supplied from your console. It only sees what the T3 supply gives it.

Most manufacturers make that claim to avoid any costly issues for warranty repairs. It is in the manual because my lawyer says it has to be there. This way we can tell people that they misused it and we can charge them up the butt to fix it.

Since I repair anything that happens to any of my products under the warranty with the exception of them being run over by a truck...and even then I might do it just for the F*$@ of it, you have nothing to worry about. There should not be any issues with your phantom on all the time, so don't sweat it. Like I said, it is mainly a disclaimer. If it breaks, I will fix it...:D

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

Thanks for taking the time to post a response alan (and one i was hoping to hear as well!). Luckily your mics are as great as your customer support. Hopefully that sounds like a compliment. It's sorta like when your good friends are in a really bad band: "Alan is so nice and helpful but his mics are just ... well ..." So i don' t have to feel bad. :) thanks.

Back