SP C1 Vocal Test Track - Opinions / Suggestions??

WERNER 1

Hey guys, I just recorded a simple little vocal test clip with my SP C1 and was looking for some feedback on ways to improve on my technique :D (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but you guys are always quick to help out here! )

Basically it's me singing into the C1, no pop filter, about 6" out, DMP3, delta 1010, CEP.

there's no eq'ing or compression, just a bit of verb, hard panning (I double tracked it), and 20ms delay to one track.

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!! (This is my first vocal track recording)

Thanks in advance!!

Rick

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=410286&songID=3756410

Roll off some 12k and leave it alone. It's beautiful! Nice voice. The challenge will be to keep it that present in a mix. God Bless ya.

I think its pretty much fine as it is. Without any other instruments there to compare against its hard to say how it will stand in a mix. But as a vocal recording its fine. Its Understandable, its clear, its loud enough. Spot on mate.

Cool!

Thanks guys!!

I've always heard people talking about "de-S-ing", but I wasn't sure at what point this comes into play.........I hear some of that on my recording, but in a way I like it.......but does it lead to problems later on in the greater spectrum of the overall recording??

Let's say that this vocal starts to get lost in the mix, what in general is a good way to keep it present and up front?? Is it in the eq'ing or what??

Thanks,
Rick

In regards to keeping a vocal from getting lost it is only in comparison to what its getting lost with. Say for example you have a lead vocal and a lead guitar and a piano all competing, well the distinguishing factors of the vocal will be lost on the ear because the listener is straining to hear all the parts. Generally its always best to try and alow space for the vocal, dont cram other mid range stuff around it. You could for example compress the vocal which will alow it to "sit" relatively well. Dont add too much Reverb as this will make the voice sound distant as well will bad use of compression. I personally work on the vocal first in a mix and then allow the other tracks to be brought in around it as "support" This is because for me the vocal is the most important part of a song, its the part that people sing along to, its a hook, and its the part that our ears will probably lock onto first. But alot of this is subjective, so trust your ears, dont add compression if you dont need it, or anything else for that matter.

Back