Sound Cards / Audio Interfaces

tgoes

I've just joined this forum and I hope to exchange useful information with you all. My first issue is: I used to do a lot of audio recording during most of my life until about 8 years ago when I stopped due to lack of time. Now I am retired and I want to go back to it as a hobby, as I am a musician and writer, and I want to record my own music. The problem is my (PCI) audio card is outdated, I can't even find updated drivers for it so it is no longer working well on Windows-10. So, I searched the internet for newer ones, but all I found were "Audio Interfaces". So, my question is, were sound cards replaced by such audio interfaces? Are they mostly USB now? All PCI cards I found are SoundBlaster. I remember there were M-Audio Sound Cards such as Darla, Layla, Audiophile, etc. I was wondering what are the good modern sound cards with 2 and 4 tracks. USB would be better as they could be used on a Laptop computer. Anyway, I guess you got my point. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am interest in good, but reasonably priced ones since now I am just doing it for a hobby. Thanks in advance.

Audio interfaces are essentially sound cards, but a USB interface isn't tied to a host card. And a sound card is generally just I/O, with no physical controls or metering. Some of the older systems you list kind of cross the line with the breakout box. Popular USB interfaces include Focusrite Scarlett and units from Tascam, Native Instrument, Behringer, PreSonus, Mackie, Zoom etc.

So an audio interface has pretty much the same function as a PCI card, but generally has more functionality.

My first PCI card was an ISIS card which had a break-out box with eight line inputs. It did have some monitoring software, which was handy.

You will find that contemporary USB interfaces will adequately take care of your laptop recording needs.

Most basic computers these days don't even have empty slots for additional cards. With a USB audio interface, you are not tied to one computer. You say 'with 1 or 4 tracks' - when choosing an audio interface, first decide how many mic preamps you need, how many tracks will you want to record simultaneously - this will narrow down the very extensive field of choices.

Thank you for all your replies. They were very useful. I have one last question. Let's say I would like to have 4 mono tracks recording simultaneously. Could I use two USD Behringer UC202? Thanks again.

Thank you for all your replies. They were very useful. I have one last question. Let's say I would like to have 4 mono tracks recording simultaneously. Could I use two USD Behringer UC202? Thanks again.
No.

For most interfaces in this class, you need to find ones that have 4 mic preamps (XLR combo jack) inputs, because those will give you 4 mic or line inputs, and usually at least a couple can also be switched to instrument level.

The UMC404HD would work.

But, it depends what you are plugging in whether you need 4 *mic* preamps. There are a few interfaces that have additional line-level (only) inputs in addition to the mic/line/inst combo ones. Most generally start with interfaces having 4 mic preamps or more, so may not be a money saver for you. I did see that the Steinberg UR242 has 2 mic pres plus 2 line inputs. BUT, if it matters, interfaces with line-only inputs typically do not have gain controls for those, since they are assumed to be coming from a preamp (type) device, where its output level would be set to control the record level.

My Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 has 2 mic/line combo inputs on the front and 4 line inputs on the back, but like Keith says, there are no gain controls for the line inputs on the back - but there are volume level controls in the software.

To be scrupulously honest, two UCA 202s probably WOULD work!

You would need to use MME drivers I think and I have only ever done this with Samplitude. My trial was using a PCI card and a USB interface and one problem is the two devices are not synced but two nominally identical AIs could stay in sync for several minutes?

But, handy thought the 202 is, it is cheap, has low headroom and a noise floor of only 80dB or so and therefore the above is just "for interest only" Get an AI. If the UMC204HD is all you can afford it will serve you well. The NI KA6 is better, especially if you want very low latency. The new MOTU M4 is very nice...After that, sky's the limit.

Dave.

I'd look into the newer Audient interfaces. They have the best preamps bar none and are pretty affordable.

Back