Thread: Sony PCM-D100: Looking For Low Noise Shotgun With Plugin Power Only

Thanks

Exclamation Sony PCM-D100: Looking For Low Noise Shotgun With Plugin Power Only

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi all,

I'm quite sure, that there are already some post somewhere in the archives with a similar question. But as being new to this forum I do in fact not have a clue what to search for. All of the keywords deliver tons of results. But no result was satisfying with respect to my particular configuration demands. So I beg for your mercy in that matter.

So I get to the point:

I have a Sony PCM-D100 for outdoor/field recording as a hobby. I had tried a Zoom H5 as well, which was tempting as it offers quite some features more than the Sony. However, I do in fact not really need 4 track recording. And besides this, the noise of the H5 was, at least compared to the PCM-D100, just not acceptable.

On the other hand the Sony doesn't have XLR inputs. But there is a 3.5mm line-in with plugin-power.

What I am now looking for is a shotgun microphone for this recoder. And as you can probably imagine, I absolutley do not want to shed the high-quality, low-noise capabilities of the Sony.

As being a hobbyist, I am a bit intimidated of the variety of all the microphones out there. So let me in short specify my priorities for a shotgun microphone, and what it is for:

What is it for and what is my background:

• I want to record ambient sounds, to get kind of an acoustic diary of my travels and axperiences. This works ok with the built-in microphones, but in some cases I'd like to do this more selectively: A bird singing on the tree, a motorbike driving along a road, a busker in the city and so on.
    • occasionally, getting some recordings for videos-clips is another thing I'd like to be able to do. For this purpose, I favor to focus sound-recording on a narrow spot.
    • I am not a studio/sound-guy, and I am not delighted of post-processing. I rare cases, if it is worth it, I can imagine to squeeze the recordings a bit. But just collecting them "as is" is my preferred intent.

What I would like to have:

• A really low noise shotgun microphone
    • plugin-power only if possible
    • In case that there is no goog solution with PiP, a battery-driven microphone would do as well. I do not want a bunch of cables and extra-phantom-power supplies hanging around.
    • rugged build. An all-metal build is my preferred solution. For me, haptics is part of my experience, I just like things of good quality. Plastic might technically not be a showstopper, but I find a metal casing simply more appealing. This is not a no. one prioity, but "cheap plastic" toys are definitely a no go.

The budget question: I'd like to be off with not more than 500€ / $600. If there is no such solution, I'd bite the bullet and go up by, say, $300/250€.

To sum up:

- really low noise shotgun
    - plugin-power (preferred) or battery,
    - rugged build, all-metal preferred
    - budget up to $600 (lower is nicer), up to $300 more if not otherwise feasable.

Any answer is appreciated.

Thank you for you attention!

PS: I am not a native english speaker.

Thanks

Thanks
    The Rode NTG2 looks to be a good choice... ROEDE Microphones - NTG2

Rode get very good reviews, are well made, and are good value...

Thanks

Good external microphone for the Sony D100 recorder.

I own a Sony D100 recorder and also searched for an external microphone to use when recording quiet forest sounds at night. I ended up purchasing a matched stereo pair of pre-polarized condenser microphones from an outfit in Slavakia called LOM Audio. They plug into the Sony D100 using the 1.5mm jack port. I paid 90 euro + 10 euro shipping to the USA.
    Operating voltage: 2-10 V
    Cable: 3.5 m (for each mic) with 2.5 mm diameter
    Maximum input pressure level: ~122 dB SPL
    Sensitivity: -28 dB at 1kHz (3 dB)
    Self-noise: ~14 dBA
    Output: 3.5 mm (1/8″) jack
    Output impedance: 2.4 kΩ at 1kHz

They have wind bubbles available too.

This mic was recommended to me by a professional recordist who also uses a Sony D100 on occasion.

I know this is an old post but someone might find this information helpful.

Thread Information