Some random musings from a recent mic shootout . . .

chessrock

Banned
Here are some musings from a recent mic shootout I got a chance to partake in. The following were the subjects: *Rode NTK, *Audio Technica 4047, *Shure KSM32, *Groove Tubes GT67 (I believe that was the number) Tube mic. All of these were around $500 price tag. Very informal. Plugged them all in to a Mackie board and just went at it.

In particular, we (a friend and I) were interested in seeing how these mics handled sibilances, plosives, sudden changes in our voices, and how it responded all over the spectrum from low to high. So anyway, we did the key jangle, we sang scales to tounge twisters of the likes of "Peter Piper," "Seven Sinbad Sailors sailing the seven seas," etc. etc.

We also tried talking/ranting/screaming in a very nasal fashion in to each one, so as to get an idea for the honk factor.

* Audio Technica 4047 -- Good high-end sparkle. Good low-end growl, great mid-range honk. All-around, a pretty cool mic. This mic seems to exaggerate whatever you are trying to do with your voice. A mic with character that will cut through a mix like buttah.

My only beef was with the honk factor. This is a colorful mic, and it is aggressive in the upper mid-ranges. When I talked like Fran Drescher in to it, it was almost too believeable. Because of the way this voice exaggerates whatever you're trying to do with your voice, I can see it being a great asset for voice-overs -- particular cartoon / comedic and the like.

This mic would sound extremely good on the right voice, and/or micing a guitar amp . . . but not on everything. Pretty F 'in good, overall. Probably Not f'in great.

* Rode NTK -- This is a cool mic. Careful with the plosives. Wow, listen to that proximity effect. The high end on this thing is silky. Exaggerated, but silky. The low end seems smooth. But uh-oh. What's this. I'm talking like Fran Drescher again, and there's that annoying "HONK ! ! "

The louder and honkier I talk/scream in to this thing, the more the mic exaggerates this honk factor. I'm noticing a pattern. I guess a lot of these mic manufacturers seem to enjoy boosting that range around 2-3K and again around 6K.

I guess that's the sound though. If you want to sound like Britney or the Backstreet boys, you gotta have that high-mid stuff going on, I guess.

All in all, though, I must admit that the NTK sounds "cool." I like this mic the way I like fattening food and sweets. I want it and I crave it, but I know it won't be good for me in the long run. If I were to use this a lot, then just about everything I record will have a particular sound stamp. It's the sound of modern pop vocals. If modern-day chart-topping pop vocals are what you want -- Britney, Justin, N-sync, etc. . . then this is a great mic.

The only problem is that in my town of Chicago, everyone and their brother has been swept away by a particular band that goes by the name of Wilco. Anyone familiar with this sound will understand where I'm coming from. Terms like "raw," "natural," "accurate," "transparent" all come to mind.

* Groove Tubes Tube mic -- I wasn't particularly thrilled. More honk than the NTK. Less high-end exaggeration, though. Overall, I would have to say it sounded extremely focused on the plus side (moreso than any of the others tested), somewhat thin on the minus side (also much moreso than the others).

Grade: Incomplete. I'd honestly have to hear this one on different sources to get an idea of what it really brings to the table. There might be something this mic would really excell at.

*Shure KSM32 -- The hands-down winner, to me. I've heard this mic described as being bland by some, exciting by others, but just about no one can say it sucks.

And these are all fitting descriptions, because no, it certainly doesn't suck. It is very bland . . . if you consider a truly professional, accurate and realistic portrayal of how the sound really is to be bland.

I was actually quite thrilled with it's blandness. I did my best immitation of a chainsaw, and never at any time did I get that annoying mid-range, piercing honkification so common with the other subjects in the test. It won the "Six-simple-simon" sibilance test hands-down. It won the "Peter-piper" plosive test by a long-shot. These aren't very glamorous tests to pass, but they are important in the real-world.

That's not to say there wasn't at least some ear candy going on. There is just a hint of high-end sparkle in the 10-11k range with this mic. Yet only the slightest hint of the 3-6K sweetening was evident, as well. When giving it the low-voice Barry White / Darth Vader test, this mic also seemed to have the tightest, cleanest, most-controlled lows and low-mids.

In short, this mic handled everything I could throw at it and never even blinked. Easily the smoothest, most professional-sounding of the bunch I tested on this particular day. Probably still not f'ing great . . . but really damn f'ing good.

It's tough to describe why I liked this mic. If I had a younger sister or a daughter, and she were dating this mic, I would approve. It doesn't have the sexiness factor of the NTK, or the sometimes annoyingly exaggerated quality of the Audio Technica. But it seems like it would have better manners. It would be a more faithful companion, and would quietly and unassumingly get the job done without the need to hog the spotlight. It seems like it would be a very cooperative, selfless team player and good all-around citizen of the microphone world.

Thanks for taking the time to post your findings, Chessrock. Coupla questions:

1. How does the pleasingly neutral KSM32 compare to the oh-so-cheap neutral champion, the MXL V93 (is that the right one? It was the one you really liked a while ago for its flatitude)?

2. In another thread you mentioned the Blue Baby Bottle as a good midrange mic ... even though this test didn't include that, can you give your impression of how the Baby Bottle would stack up to those tested based on memory (or even recorded tracks you have lying around ...)?

OK, one more question:

3. If the only LD condenser you had was a Rode NT2 (it's all I've got, and I recall that you used to have one), what mic of these would YOU add to complement it (think strengths in various uses as well as character)? Or would you jettison the NT2 and get TWO mics (I need to add here that I like the NT on my voice a lot)?

Geeeezz, you'd think I was administering a pop quiz or something. Thanks again for your efforts,

gg

Well, Geekgirl, in my humblest of experiences and estimations . . .

1) Night and day. The Marshall mxl V93 / 2003 is pretty flat, untill you start getting from 4 khz on up. The more I use it, the more I realize what it really is -- a really good, cheap, but bright-sounding mic. It works great on accoustic guitars and other things that need "bright." The only thing in my mic cabinet that gives me flat are (Harvey's) Behringer reference mics.

2) Very limited experience with the baby bottle (borrowed it for like 2 days). From what I can recall, though, it has the same kind of neutrality I noticed in the KSM. Although the Baby bottle might even be less hyped than that (I once heard it described as a "ribbon mic in a LDC's body), if that's possible. :D These two would be much more similar to one another than to the honkers I tried out.

3) Hmmm. It depends a lot on what kind of sound you're looking for. If all I had was an NT2, of all the mics I mentioned, I would probably pick up the Shure KSM32 (and probably will this week).

That's mostly because I happen to live in an area where Wilco is like the second coming of . . . whatever :D . . . and everyone wants that "natural" sound, so I try to offer my rather smallish and modest client list what they are looking for. :D Plus, I just thought it sounded damn good.

If I were growing weary of the flattering qualities -- high-end sparkle and scooped mids -- of the NT2, and would like a LDC that is just plain neutral and unflattering, then the KSM would be an excellent breath of fresh air.

If, on the other hand, I were recording country artists who go for the "twang" thing, or some rocker types that need the aggressive high-mids in order to cut through a lot of heavy guitars (or wanted something that would do double-duties on guitar cabs), then I'd pick up the AT 4047 in a heartbeat and wouldn't think twice.

. . . If on the other hand, :D I were in to more of a power-pop thing . . . ultra-melodic, or looking to record a top-40 hit for a younger audience, I'd probably grab the NTK.

(These are some rather broad generalizations, I'll admit. Any of these statements should be amended with "OR if it sounds good on your particular voice or sound source :D )."

Last edited:
chessrock, good post!!

I have a 4047 and a KSM32 and I think your review is accurate. I consider the KSM32 my "best mic" (works for just about anything) - but the 4047 actually works better on my voice.

In almost any case I would feel confident grabbing for either one.

Hey, thanks MikeH.

The 4047 sounded, to me, like it might be good on a lot of voices -- have you tried it on others besides yourself? What do you like or dislike about it?

Thanks for the advice, HD,

It's commonly believed that the KSM27 is a single-pattern/single-diaph version of the 44. It would appear to be so, as both have very similar specs, and their freq. graphs match up when the 44 is in cardioid mode. Do you know if that's the case?

That would also make the 27 somewhat similar to the AT 4047 if you really want to overanalyze this thing. :D

My guess is that the 27{the 27 is cheaper than the 32.. right} and the 44 arn't the same soundwise..But thats just a guess..But you know if you try it and it works you've just saved some cash!This is the price{$500.00 or so} where you start getting better sounding L.D. mics like the 44 and the 4050 ect.JMHO..

Don

Very articulate review

These are the kind of reviews, although subjective and not "scientific", that really give us readers something to chew on. Your use of plain language, sound imagery, and analogies make me feel I know "exactly" what you were experiencing during the shootout--and that is the true point of any comparison/review.

Very informative, and great style.:cool:

chessrock - in response to your question - I have used the 4047 on one other male voice and two female voices.

For lack of a better explination, the 4047 seemed to work better on the male voices - I believe in part because the male voices I recorded were not "well tuned instruments" both male voices were more of a Springsteen/Cocker style - large on passion, short on technique - which the 4047 seemed to translate better.

The female voices - both of which were pure in sound and technique (one was ala' Steisand and the other kinda like Maria Carry) seemed to track better with the KSM32, which gives a cleaner "less colored" sound.

I guess it mirrors what you said - the 4047 seemed to embrace the more exagerated male voices and the KSM32 seemed to provide an accurate image of the more pure female voices.

As a point of interest - a friend recorded a high school classical performance useing a pair of KSM32's and the music director claimed the recorded sound was "exactly what he heard on stage" - I guess that is what a mic is suppose to do.

Hey Chessrock - That's about the coolest mic shootout I've ever read! It was like guys comparing beers, rather than a snooty wine tasting review. Only thing is, like, oh my god...I'm gonna sound like Brittinay spears with my NTK?...Gag me. :)
RD

Chessrock,
great post, thanks!

I LOL'ed at the thought of a Barry White/Darth Vader voice...

Cheers
/Henrik

The only problem is that in my town of Chicago, everyone and their brother has been swept away by a particular band that goes by the name of Wilco. Anyone familiar with this sound will understand where I'm coming from. Terms like "raw," "natural," "accurate," "transparent" all come to mind.
I don’t know if you saw the Wilco film “I am trying to break your heart,” but I noticed that he used a Blue Mouse on vocals. So, if you really want to get the “Wilco vocal sound” you may have to spend a little more!

cominginsecond said:
I don’t know if you saw the Wilco film “I am trying to break your heart,” but I noticed that he used a Blue Mouse on vocals. So, if you really want to get the “Wilco vocal sound” you may have to spend a little more!

If we're going to get that picky, I suppose I could also see if Jeff Tweedy were available, but unfortunately he hasn't been returning my calls. :D

Even then, I doubt anyone really wants to literally be Wilco and use all the exact same mics, guitars, etc. Although it wouldn't surprize me, the way a lot of the people are around here. :D Maybe a new market could be wide-open for "Wilcomania."

Cool review Chessrock. I picked up on the 'honk' factor because I had been running into minor problems with some male rock vocals, but maybe down a bit in the 900- 2k range. The 4047 seems to at least mitigate it somewhat if only by covering it up with some nice low mids.
Could it be that having a compressor that pulls that range back might be the ticket? I don't feel I've really nailed it down yet.
Wayne

mixsit said:
Could it be that having a compressor that pulls that range back might be the ticket? I don't feel I've really nailed it down yet.
Wayne

Yea, I think you got the range; it does seem to be between 1.5 to 2.5k where there's some exaggeration (also a big bump around 6k -- I'd beware of that one, too). If you could get some multi-band comp going on around there, it could smooth things out, I suppose.

What I really noticed is I had to make my voice really honky before the mike started sounding really honky, so I guess you could say the mic exaggerates whatever qualities your voice naturally has . . . or whatever qualities you're trying to convey. So the best idea would just be to not sing honky, but then I'm just a stupid honky, so what do I know? :D

chessrock said:
Well, Geekgirl, in my humblest of experiences and estimations . . .

(These are some rather broad generalizations, I'll admit. Any of these statements should be amended with "OR if it sounds good on your particular voice or sound source :D )."

Cool, thanks for the insight, Chessrock. Even though opinions are just that, I find them valuable because it will steer my product research into specific directions. All this poring over homerec and other sources of recording information is all well and good for me to a point, but I'm not really a "gear-lust" type of person. I just want something that works and that is good value, because my intent is not to amass a "mic cabinet" -- it just has to work for me, a musician-songwriter who wants to get as good as sound at home as possible but has no intention of taking on clients.

A friend of mine has an NTK; I'll have to see if she'll let me borrow it. I'd love to compare that with a T3, and I think I'll be checking out the 'Bottle and KSM32.

Thanks again.

More geek musings

I guess I should audition a KSM27 AND 44 too.

Hey, regarding the KSM32s and the classical recording being "exactly" what was heard onstage, whaddayall think about the possibilities of 2 KSM32s on a grand piano? Maybe overkill? How 'bout as a room mic for drums?

I'm sure the KSM32 would be a good mic for accoustic piano. I don't think two on a piano would be overkill. Like anything it's all about placement.

KSM32's work very well as drum overheads, so I would think it could serve as a good ambiance room mic (again - placement).

However, it does not have selectable patterns - I suspect a KSM44 may be more flexable in that type of use

geekgurl said:
A friend of mine has an NTK; I'll have to see if she'll let me borrow it. I'd love to compare that with a T3, and I think I'll be checking out the 'Bottle and KSM32.

Let us know what you think. I didn't test any of them with a female voice, so I'd be really curious to know what your thoughts are on them, as I'm getting ready to pick one of them up and I'm still kind of undecided (despite my enthusiasm for the ksm).

Back