Solo vocal/acoustic guitar; are Studio Projects B1 mics ok?

Guitar Jim

I will take delivery of a Fostex VF80 digital recorder/CD burner in a few weeks.
I'm considering buying 2 Studio Projects B1 mics.
My music is strictly solo..... just vocal/acoustic guitar recorded live ( no overdubs).
I have several questions:
(1) While I realise the equipment I'll be using is not pro quality, I nonetheless would like to aim for a good, clean, clear sound on both vocals and acoustic guitar.... something that would be considered good demo quality on a budget. Is the SP B1 mic a reasonable choice for an *all purpose* vocal/instrument mic on a budget?
(2) I've had no experience with digital recording or recording in stereo. In order to get a stereo affect is it necessary to record with 2 mics using 2 channels? Or can a digital recorder such as the one I'll be using simulate a stereo affect using just the one mic? Keep in mind I'm only interested in recording live with no overdubs.
(3) If I use 2 mics at once for a stereo sound would I normally get any phase cancellation problems with the type of condenser mics I'm thinking of buying?
Thanks for any advice.

Guitar Jim said:
(1) Is the SP B1 mic a reasonable choice for an *all purpose* vocal/instrument mic on a budget?

Yes. Some like it better on instruments than vocals. Put another way, there are likely better mics, at about the same price point, for vocals.

Guitar Jim said:
(2) In order to get a stereo affect is it necessary to record with 2 mics using 2 channels? Or can a digital recorder such as the one I'll be using simulate a stereo affect using just the one mic?

Yes.
Dunno.

Guitar Jim said:
(3) If I use 2 mics at once for a stereo sound would I normally get any phase cancellation problems with the type of condenser mics I'm thinking of buying?.

You can get phase problems. Most problems can be nearly elimiated if you follow the 3 to 1 rule.

Guitar Jim said:
(1) Is the SP B1 mic a reasonable choice for an *all purpose* vocal/instrument mic on a budget?
(2) In order to get a stereo affect is it necessary to record with 2 mics using 2 channels?
(3) If I use 2 mics at once for a stereo sound would I normally get any phase cancellation problems with the type of condenser mics I'm thinking of buying?

1. Hell yes.
2. Yes.
3. Not if they were setup correctly. Click here for an in depth explanation on stereo micing technique.

About the stereo effect... it depends on what you want, but options exist for producing such a stereo effect with mono (1 mic) recording. Here are just two:

*Record a second track afterward--same part, different track, one panned left and one right in the mix. You probably won't want to do this often, but when you do, it really opens up the mix with these panned L/R guitars.

*Or, one of my favorite approaches (because it's so easy and sounds good) is to record one track and then copy it to a second track, raising or lowering the pitch just slightly. This approach simulates the one above, but can be done in a matter of seconds. The effect is not as dramatic as recording two separate performance (above), which makes it perfect for more subtle imaging.

I own two SP B1s for acoustic guitar work, and they do a fine job for low-cost mics. I have used them for stereo recording just a few times with good results altough I had to do some reading to learn the basic rules that apply.

If you do pick up a couple, be sure that the color dots on the boxes match, indicating some basic freq similarity.

Best,

J.

Jim, if you have access to a good sounding recording room at home or elsewhere that'll be very beneficial.

In that case, you could also consider simply getting one B3 and putting it in omni. That's the way many classic acts (like the Everlys) were recorded.

That single microphone would just be placed carefully to catch the guitar and vocal(s). Less critical placement than using two cardiods.

Whatever path you take, keep in mind that a good pro AE could make a fine sounding commercial record using either of these models.

They just might have to work a somewhat more compared to if their favorite mic was available.

BTW the B1 works particularly well on my voice, better than a AT 4033, or Rode NTK. YMMV.

Chris

Well, I've just bought a pair of Studio Projects B1 mics, plus 2 boom stands, for $US198 from an online store. Seems like a reasonable price to me.
It's been a long, long time since I've recorded myself properly ( way back in the reel to reel analog days ) so I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with the Fostex VF80 and B1 mics.
Thankyou everyone for your advice.

Guitar Jim said:
Well, I've just bought a pair of Studio Projects B1 mics, plus 2 boom stands, for $US198 from an online store. Seems like a reasonable price to me.
It's been a long, long time since I've recorded myself properly ( way back in the reel to reel analog days ) so I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with the Fostex VF80 and B1 mics.

Thats a pretty good deal alright I don't think you'll regret it, later when you trade up you'll find other uses for them. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

Way to go, Jim. Make sure you read up a bit on stereo mic placement, and be sure to let us know how it goes.

J.

Guitar Jim said:

I had the VF80 with 2 SP-B1's. Loved this setup. I still have the B1's, though I sold the VF80 to get the VF160 (for more tracks). You can make excellent recordings with what you've got. One thing. Try to get away from the VF80 while recording because the mics will pick up the HardDrive whirring. Remember to turn the phantom power on/off after connecting and then before disconnecting the mics. It's a mechanical switch, so make sure you have it off before turning off the VF80 or it will be on when you start up again.

I made myself a little booth out of PVC pipe and mover's blankets. Makes a great sound-deadened space. You add reverb later to taste.

Keep your B1's in a dry environment when not in use. While I've never had an ounce of trouble with them, another brand I used got condensation on the diaghragm. Use a pop-shield (the enclosed windscreen is not a pop-shield).

The VF80 has some neat guitar effects/delays that work very well if not overdone. Have fun, you can make some excellent CD's.

Bill

Back